Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laser Level?

Thanks Steve I think I will be going with Topcon, maybe Black Friday they will be on sale or maybe tripod be on sale. Guys thanks for all suggestions I am going pull trigger on Topcon but going wait see what kind of Fathers Day sales come along
    Last edited by Carroll Courtney; 11-06-2021 at 7:25 PM.

Carroll, just be sure you do put the unit on a steady base. It doesn't have to be the top-of-the-line, heavy duty tripod that a commercial operation necessarily uses for durability, but it needs to be rock steady on whatever passes for terrain/surface on your job site. That includes not moving in wind, etc., since even a minor deviation in position of the sender is going to throw things off at the receiver end in a magnified way.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Back when I worked for a ceiling and interior company we had a Laser level that cost us $6000 and water levels. We would use the water level for real accurate work as the laser had a .125 dot. so it could be off by almost 1/4 inch from side to side. I still use a water level at home even more then my laser level.

Thanks guys, checking out Tiger Supplies they have lot of negative feedback on ebay so scratching them off list. I do want the tripod just for that reason Jim so I may go ahead and spring for aluminum tripod which will help with self leveling feature. As suggested by members looking at resale value down road so another reason for going with the better unit. Once I settle on who to purchase from since Tiger is out now I hope to make purchase so I can have it by next weekend.

Look for a used one in good shape on ebay. Chances are you'll just pay for shipping once you sell it. If you keep an eye out you'll often find ones that someone bought new for one job with the intention of selling it once the job was finished. The pro grade models are very durable since they are designed to be used in the field by contractors. That's where I got mine. I think I paid about 30% off of what the price was for a new one. I actually sold it for more than I paid (then bought another one to replace it after I realized how handy it was, lol).

More Options

I believe it was mentioned here but if you have a helper, a builder's level would work and a lot less money. I bought this Leica for less than $300. Leica Geosystems 840383 NA332 360 Degree Auto Optical Level.

Another source might be to check with your local survey supply house. They may have refurbished units for sale.

If you could come up with a tripod and a grade rod I would loan you my Spectra laser level if you pay the shipping.
    Regards,

Kris

Timely, I used to work with water levels and while they work it is cumbersome imho.

Because I am doing two additions at my house from bottom to top almost 100% alone I spend some money and got a Stabila set.

Guys thanks for all suggestions, I know that anyone of these suggestion would work for me cause all been field tested by members. I went with the Topcon after watching several Youtubes on how to operate laser, which is not much at all other than starting will Tripod being close level as possible. After that the laser takes over and does the rest, so not much to it which I guess explains why there is not much in the directions that came with it. Now just waiting on the Dewalt Tripod to come in which should be sometimes tonight but maybe tomorrow. This really was more money than I wanted to spend but I am glad that I took ya'll advice went with quality level. So here's couple pics, I sure hope the tripod comes in tonight or tomorrow which means I can start checking one side of my form for slab.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats! That looks like a nice unit and will do what you need plus be helpful beyond.
    --

That'll do nicely Carroll!

Only time that I have ever used or been involved with a water level system was working as a carpenter on two different concrete slipform Jobs building grain elevators. There is one big water level on a slipform. Huge tank and hoses connected to however many one way jacks are required to lift the form/deck. On the two jobs I was on that was between 50 and 100 jacks. We used antifreeze instead of water because these were poured around the end of November beginning of December here in Alberta -10 to -30 C on the second one. Concrete had accelerator added to the mix. The jacks have screws similar to a bottle jack to adjust the speed they operate at. As a carpenter one of my tasks on the job is to check all the jacks to adjust speeds of the jacks to keep the whole thing level. At the end of the slip ,I helped one of the foremen measure the deflection of the pour from the wind, the total height was 135' high and we were leaning about 3.5 inches to the East because of the high winds as we poured for 9 straight days around the clock. I made a plumb bob from a roll of tie wire in a reel and about 20 pounds of scrap 1'' rebar and lowered it down to the ground where he measured the difference.

I purchased a Bosch 50' laser. I am installing 3"x 6" subway tile with staggered joints on a shower wall. The laser is invaluable!!!!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Carroll, following up with you as it's been a few months. How has the TopCon rotating laser worked out for you? It's one of the units on my list as I plan on getting a unit for my shop project (ground work and beyond) and am kinda taking Steve's advice to you to buy a "pro" unit instead of a more consumer focused setup for all the reasons expressed. I also don't mind picking up the grade rod and a tripod separately. That Topcon unit is honestly very competitively priced with lesser units. Thanks in advance for your update!
    --

Laser levels are great for lots of applications but if your primary aim is just to define foundation level, I suggest to forget it.

Lasers to work outside in a reasonably comfortable way are expensive as you need high power to be visible on daylight and for one time use it looks too much money except, perhaps, if you can rent one.

An alternative is to use the simple and effective transparent hose and water. Simple, cheap and it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Osvaldo Cristo View Post
    Laser levels are great for lots of applications but if your primary aim is just to define foundation level, I suggest to forget it.

Lasers to work outside in a reasonably comfortable way are expensive as you need high power to be visible on daylight and for one time use it looks too much money except, perhaps, if you can rent one.

An alternative is to use the simple and effective transparent hose and water. Simple, cheap and it works.
    This was addressed earlier in the thread, but no disagreement. That said, some of us like the idea of using the more advanced tool just for the experience.
    --