Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laser Level?

Laser Level?

Guys sorry if I have ask this question in past. I am building forms for my future home/shop. It’s on small side nothing fancy. I’m a one man show and I really don’t plan on doing this again But I am looking for Lazer level to get forms straight and level both length and across. I want to pick one corner as my reference then get remainder forms to match. Looking at HD website they range from about 200.00 and up, I am willing to drop 200.00 if this will work, but I just can’t spend 400 plus. One I’m looking at is by Dewalt DW 088CG-QU So what asking if you have Laser level that work for you to level say forms or something similar, which one would it be or which ones not waste money on? I know I can rent one but I need one to use over several weekends just to do forms, plus using one to build my house. Looking for suggestions also. Thanks guys for all help over several yrs
    Last edited by Carroll Courtney; 11-01-2021 at 8:26 AM. Reason: Spell

What you are looking for is a laser that you can see outside. That little Dewalt won't cut it unless it's pretty dark. None will over much distance. While the Dewalt is accurate enough, it lacks the functionality you'll be needing. You need one with a laser receiver. We use Spectra (Trimble) or Hilti lasers with receivers. The pic is of one of Spectra's low priced models, around $900. The laser is just a self leveling rotary, nothing fancy on this model. The receiver is clamped to a grade stick and detects the laser you can't see and tells you how far off you are, high or low. More expensive units have features like slope, front and back pickup and reading and more receiver range. These things are work horses. Buy one and resell after you are done, or you may decide to keep it. Spectra has a kit that includes the laser, receiver, grade stick and tripod. The receivers are generally specific to the laser unit to avoid interference on a jobsite with multiple lasers running.

A couple levels up is something called a robotic total station that lets you lay out grade and location. The Hilti I'm demoing right now is accurate to 1/8" at 300' on the x, y and z axis. There is some cool tech out there.

Last edited by Steve Rozmiarek; 11-01-2021 at 8:57 AM.

This is one of those times when you really do need to make the investment if you want a unit that's usable outside and accurate as Steve notes. So increase your budget to a pro-level product. You should be able to resell it after your done all your work and get good money to help balance the higher initial price. This is exactly what I plan to do when it's time for my shop build. ToolNut is a good site to browse to see multiple options.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you want a cheap, simple reliable level consider a bucket of water and a length of plastic tubing. I have a laser level now and love it, especially for plumb measurements, but I got by for decades doing cabinet installs and occasional structural work with a water level. One advantage over a laser is it doesn't need a line of sight. Just keep bubbles out of the line and it will give you accurate readings at any reasonable distance (the earth's curvature could come into play at some point ).

I wish there was Like button on this form, I would be hitting that button. Thanks guys for responding I do like the ideal of selling after using. I do have tubing for water level but have never use it. May have give it try when have some extra hands

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    I wish there was Like button on this form, I would be hitting that button. Thanks guys for responding I do like the ideal of selling after using. I do have tubing for water level but have never use it. May have give it try when have some extra hands
    No extra hands required. Keep one end submerged in the reservoir and mark out your level points with the far end in one hand and a sharpie in the other. Carry a spring clamp to secure the loose end when needed.

check very closely whatever level you end up using water levels are the only ones that are accurate all the time as long as no bubbles or restrictions
    I have a DeWalt rotary Laser level that is out of level. If I set it up with a transit then it works good out to 100' radius, can receive over 300'. can't trust it alone.
    Really like using a laser level, just need to verify it first
    good luck
    Ron

I have an old David White red dot unit. I also have the red PLS cross line, which I love inside. The green lines are visible outside. I can make my DW dot unit effective outside by making a shadow box for it. A pitn, but it works. I have also used water levels for years. As a “one man show” it will be useful to add some food coloring to the water. Otherwise at any distance you turn into a clown car trying to deal with it. I was once out with a pair of binoculars trying to see level across the way. Ridiculous!

I have no recent experience or recommendations. About 25 years ago I bought a Dewalt rotating laser level from HD and have used it on dozens of projects at my previous house, at friend's places, and here on the farm. I used it when leveling and compacting the ground when building my shop as well as when forming for the concrete slab. It has been invaluable for other projects requiring leveling, deck building, drainage ditches, etc.

Things I had to buy in addition to the laser level:
    - Electronic sensor (the reflective target that came with the level was useless outdoors)
    - A proper tripod
    - An adjustable grade rod (the electronic sensor clamps to it)

Mine has bubble levels which are quite accurate. It also has a sensor that warns you if the level has been bumped. It runs on D-cell batteries which seem to last forever. Doesn't need a helper.

I bought mine in a rush and didn't research. If buying one today I'd look around more and read some reviews. I suspect there is better technology now at competitive prices.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    Guys sorry if I have ask this question in past. I am building forms for my future home/shop. It’s on small side nothing fancy. I’m a one man show and I really don’t plan on doing this again But I am looking for Lazer level to get forms straight and level both length and across. I want to pick one corner as my reference then get remainder forms to match. Looking at HD website they range from about 200.00 and up, I am willing to drop 200.00 if this will work, but I just can’t spend 400 plus. One I’m looking at is by Dewalt DW 088CG-QU So what asking if you have Laser level that work for you to level say forms or something similar, which one would it be or which ones not waste money on? I know I can rent one but I need one to use over several weekends just to do forms, plus using one to build my house. Looking for suggestions also. Thanks guys for all help over several yrs

I use a laser level for dirtwork grading, and such, but still stick to a Builder's Level for building. It does require a helper, but a 1/16" division on a ruler is very large in the field of view at 30 feet. I bought this one around 1975, and when I check it, it's still dead on. It never gets bounced around in the truck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I use a laser level for dirtwork grading, and such, but still stick to a Builder's Level for building. It does require a helper, but a 1/16" division on a ruler is very large in the field of view at 30 feet. I bought this one around 1975, and when I check it, it's still dead on. It never gets bounced around in the truck.
    Nothing wrong with one of those Tom, way better than a water level in my experience. I have a old craftsman transit that I break out periodically. Analog is nice sometimes. I can especially see the benefits of simple as taking a break from trying to learn this total station right now and thinking how complicated it is.

I still have my dad's Craftsman builders level, and it is definitely more precise (easier to read small gradations) than a water level, but for single handed work I find the water level more practical. Plus, I can rely on +/- 1/16" accuracy as far out as the hose is long and read around corners.

That one is automatic leveling. You get the bubble in the center, and it does the rest, without electronics. I wish I could figure out how to take a picture of the view through the eyepiece. The crosshairs are Way smaller than the lines on a ruler, when focused on the ruler.

I bought a laser that throws lines for laying tile by, also, but never liked it because the lines are too wide to suit me. The same for the one for the miter saw.

...I wish I could figure out how to take a picture of the view through the eyepiece. ....
    Do you have a camera with a small objective lens such as a cell phone? I've taken many photos through the eyepieces of various optical devices, binoculars, microscopes, etc. We once shot a photo of the Andromeda galaxy with an iPhone through my Canon image stabilized binoculars. I've shot comets and solar photos through the eyepiece of my 8" Meade telescope.

Much depends on the exit pupil size of the ocular lens but in general I have to zoom the camera in a little to get rid of vignetting. The other problem is holding the camera/cell phone steady. I have seen adapters for this that will support the cell phone.

The 1st photo here is with a little pocket Canon camera through one lens of my pocket-sized 8x Lieca pocket prism binoculars. I rested the 'nocs and camera on a log in the woods. The second photo is the same scene without the binocular, the camera zoomed in all the way. Saw this critter at Glacier Nat Park.

moose_binoc.jpg moose_long.jpg

My own blood cells, a cell phone photo through a laboratory microscope at 400x. The guy at the bloodmobile was happy to give me some blood in a vial I brought.

blood_cells_2012-01-19_15-31-45_346_small.jpg

I don't know how to get a full frame photo from a camera with a larger lens like a DSLR such as on my Canon 70D (except by removing the lens and using a special camera adapter). Here's a quick eclipse shot through my telescope ocular with a solar filter on the objective. I can't remember the camera used for the second shot but it may have had automatic white balance enabled. Might have been with the cell phone. Shows the sunspots that day.

eclipse_IMG_6633.jpg eclipse_IMG_6613.jpg

JKJ

Thanks! I'll try that. Didn't think of the phone camera. The exit pupil on that level is pretty small in the eyepiece on the telescope, but I'll give it a try. The primary lens is not that big, and the magnification fairly high, but the image is Very clear.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 11-01-2021 at 7:26 PM.