Thread: Whats going on with corel

Whats going on with corel

I'm trying to design a new knife sheath this morning and every tine I try to use the virtual delete tool corel just disappears. Just gone screen goes back to my desk top . did this 3 times now any ideas x5 version
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Mystery delete
    My x7 version will occasionally just either lock up when I'm doing something complicated or haven't saved (yes auto save on) recently, or it will just end program like yours.
    I've usually had to shut down my PC and turn it back on. Restart doesn't always eliminate the problem. Hope this help..... you ain't the only one.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Its a mystery for sure John. I copied my design and put it on the laptop and corel works ok on it, but I hate designing on the laptop, much prefer the PC with the large monitor.
    Think I'm gonna try uninstall and reinstall corel on the PC when I have time.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Bert,

Try holding F8 key on startup. This will force Corel as new install.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lenkic View Post
    Bert,

Try holding F8 key on startup. This will force Corel as new install.

Start up of corel or from a reboot off computer?
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

i have had the same issue for the last couple of years with X5, I press print and poof it's gone
    no warning just disappears, can happen 2 or 3 times in the day then not again for 3 months
    it is very weird indeed.
    I have the same version on 3 computers but this issue only happens on the desktop attached to my Fusion Pro
    which funnily enough the same thing happens with the Job Manager, it opens then instantly crashes, can do it a few times
    then not again for weeks or months.
    Epilog Helix 50W, Epilog Fusion 40 75W, Tekcel Router, Taylor Hobson Model D & K
    Dalgren 2516i, Epilog Fusion Pro 120W

I've just come to the conclusion that Corel is full of bugs. My weird thing lately is the Corel on my XP computer, is if I change the table size, then all the guidelines disappear. They're still actually there, they just don't show up. And nothing will snap to them. But I can move them...If I accidentally move a preset line, I get a warning. I can add guidelines and THEY show up fine, which is needed if I need to snap to them, which is like, all the time...

I'd just reload the program, but then all my presets and defaults will be gone...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I find it really hard to learn software and I spent so much time learning the little bit of corel that trying to learn something new at this stage, well you know not gonna happen I do like Inkscapes raster to vector tho. If I need to convert a raster I'll use inkscape then transfer it to corel.The bugs incorel make it a challenge for sure.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Have you tried the repair option in the Windows control panel?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Have you tried the repair option in the Windows control panel?

I just tried that per your suggestion No Joy
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Mine can get bogged down if I have too much going on. I do a lot of print merge and that seems to be a memory hog so it can lock up the program and cause a few other problems as well. I typically have several programs open at once so I am familiar with some of the Corel quirks.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Mine can get bogged down if I have too much going on. I do a lot of print merge and that seems to be a memory hog so it can lock up the program and cause a few other problems as well. I typically have several programs open at once so I am familiar with some of the Corel quirks.

I most generally work on one thing at a time but I still have all the quirks LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Bert
    Misery loves company--last night I was working on some new name tag designs and the only thing I had open besides Corel was my email. With just that one file Corel crashed.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I wish I knew how memory in computers worked, so I'd have an idea why it is memory seems to 'stack up' against itself, or some 'virtual wall', until a program just quits running...

WAAYYY back in 1982 when I got my first ever computer, it just happened to be connected to my first computerized engraver ever, the first of two New Hermes Concept 2000's... the computer was (still is, still have the thing!) an Apple IIe, with 64k ram. It was so fast it only took mere seconds to draw a circle from plot file! --anyway-- I became engrossed in "basic" computing language, got magazines with simple basic programs to write myself- my favorite back then was a fireplace with moving flame. Took near a whole day and it used all 64,000 available keystrokes to write it, it was pretty cool...

--anyway--

back in those days I was also more than a little intrigued with gambling- Craps mostly- the odds, and what was considered the best betting strategies. I ended up writing my own program that would play Craps all by itself, 3 'hands' per pass, with bets automatically increasing or decreasing with wins or losses. It worked great! Did what I wanted it to, I would let it run while I was working.

The problem was, the program would stop cold after about 20 minutes leaving an "Out of Memory" error in the screen... I never did figure out a way to fix that problem. I copied the program to an Atari home computer a few years later, it did the same thing.

The irony is, after all these years, COREL DOES EXACTLY THE SAME THING. If I leave it running indefinitely, hibernating at night, etc, Corel WILL eventually just shut down, leaving the useless 2-choice message to either 'shut down, search for a solution, then restart Corel', or simply 'shut down and restart Corel'-- anything I was doing, gone, kaput, kablooie. ONLY if Corel has done an automatic backup of one or more jobs running do I get lucky. I can leave it on a LONNNGG time on my XP, but that's because I rarely add more jobs. But it eventually crashes too, even if it takes many days. But on my Win7pro (THIS one, my 'main' computer), If I'm busy with new jobs I HAVE to remember to save them all, close and restart Corel just to 'unload' the memory so I don't lose work...

And it's not just Corel. THIS computer, and my other Win7's as of late, have ALL become glacial-speed slugs. Not sure what the main culprit is, it may not even be memory, (but I have an idea, see below) but what I CANNOT figure out, nor can any of the computer 'geeks' I know that have sat at this thing, is:

EVEN with NO other programs running, with literally ZERO CPU usage, and only 20% AT MOST of available system memory in use, if this computer has been not rebooted for several hours, I cannot watch a video without the audio and/or the video breaking up, BADLY. I have a video on Youtube that shows this! Doesn't matter the source of the video either, online or from any of my own sources, it'll do the same thing!

-How can this computer, with TWO Xeon 3.16ghz processors with 4-cores each, 32gigs of ram, an SSD drive, running Win7 Professional, with NO other programs running, NOT be able to cleanly play a stupid video!!?? -I have a CMD program I found online, that when ran will -supposedly- totally shut down every memory-using running program and/or process, then flush the memory, leaving you with a 'clean' computer without re-booting. Whether it actually flushes the memory I'm not sure, but running it doesn't help the video issue whatsoever...

--I've been told by a 'geek' customer (he programs servers for a major University) that Microsoft is still updating Win7 computers 'in the background', for "security purposes", and MS admits these 'updates' are causing the computers to run slower. IMO and experience, 'slower' is a gross understatement.

SO, what my rant here is driving at, is that my best guess is that the goofy crap Corel (and other programs to be sure) does to drive us nuts is likely just a symptom of a much bigger disease...
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 11-07-2021 at 2:13 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

So why does corel run ok on my laptop thats not connected to the internet but crashes on my PC that is connected
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander