Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Table Saw Kickback

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Read the OP's first post and you may find subtle hints .

So are you saying I have no common sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    There are no "rules"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    I never mentioned anything about not doing your own checklist, that was just you making shit up, trying to muddy the water and distract from what i actually said.
    Attachment 467484
    I hope I didn't mis-quote you ... It seemed clear there are no "rules", so what do you base your woodworking table-saw cutting anti-kickback techniques checklist on?

Are rules and checklists not the same thing, or at very least interdependent? (To me they are.)

And please let me know what you found insulting in my posts. I'll gladly remove it.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 11-04-2021 at 9:22 AM. Reason: specificity

I have usually kept the blade low, especially when cutting plywood. I get a lot more tearout of the bottom ply if the blade is high.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    I have usually kept the blade low, especially when cutting plywood. I get a lot more tearout of the bottom ply if the blade is high.
    You can eliminate the tear-out by scoring it first with the blade set to barely penetrate the bottom of the plywood.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

That makes sense, I'll do that next time I'm cutting plywood.

high low there is in between as well, was he cutting cross grain? did any chip out matter, I cut cross grain not slow, had a combo blade on with no support from an old broken insert below, chip out was not much even with the blade highest.

Operator error plain and simple. Never said if it was first cut or second cut issue.

Sawstop will do zero in this case. I went in and out 25 times, nothing not even the blade rubbing on the material likely six inches into the blade.

Ronald you posted a riving knife is helpful, its not he was on the front of the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    . Never said if it was first cut or second cut issue.
    Warren, actually he did say in his second post that the kickback happened while pulling the piece back after the first cut- there was no loose offcut.

I was cutting out a slot from a piece of plywood, making two cuts to a hole 3/4 inch hold I made in the board. Well instead of shutting the saw before backing out the board, I pulled it back and the blade caught the wood, turned it a bit and shot it at me.

The plywood was small, 10 inches wide, 16 inches deep i was cutting a 3/4 inch wide slot a a few inches deep into the 16 end of the piece of wood. This required 2 cuts from the edge of the board to the hole i bored into the wood. When making the first cut, i was backing the board out after the cut was complete, and the black caught the board and kicked it back at me.

I too missed that detail. It would seem that the workpiece was not held tight to the fence and the low height of the blade enabled the kickback. Had both sides of the slot been cut that would have introduced another factor.

simple photo so people can see what is going on. You really think Mark should have to go to all that trouble to explore what happened and teach some realities.

Operator error, Marks polite, Im blunt. shut off back out take your pick safe either way. Safer the higher the blade is. Ill do it 25 times with a low blade and still have no issues, understand the reality of high blade and dynamics change and explained further the advantage in cutting out jig templates from a high blade.

Ok we have BEAT this to a dead pulp folks. I stated right away there was operator error. I been asked the same questions a few times, but people don't read the thread, just the first post and respond, even though there is 82 replies already.

There are multiple ways to do this safely, or use another tool instead. The point of this thread was not to have people argue, but to learn from my mistake.

Jason,

Thanks for your original post and courage to remain engaged with the thread.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra