Thread: Refinishing Oak Speakers in Black

Refinishing Oak Speakers in Black

I'd like to modernize my Klipsch Forte speakers (circa 1989) by making them black. But how? They are oak veneer in the classic 1980s "golden oak".

speaker - 1.jpg

Ideas:
    1) Black Lacquer spray (rattle can)
    2) Black Dye
    3) "Ebonize" with steel wool/vinegar solution
    4) (last choice). Apply new black veneer.

Not sure how any of this will work considering the existing finish (which I'll strip and sand).

Thoughts?

If the current finish is OK you don't have to strip it off. Just clean it of any dirt and wax, then spray it with a coat of dewaxed shellac. Follow that with rattle can lacquer and they'll look great. Or you could use GF's Black Milk paint or TC's black lacquer over the shellac if you want to use a WB product.

John

What John said...with the addition that you must really carefully clean them before doing the finishing work to insure that any residues from cleaners over the years is completely gone, even if you feel nothing was ever used. You can have all kinds of frustrating adhesion and contamination "fun" if anything even accidentally got on the speakers while someone was cleaning something else, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think you could use India ink and kill 2 birds with one stone.

I agree with John. The main feature of black is making the dust easily seen without magnification.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    What John said...with the addition that you must really carefully clean them before doing the finishing work to insure that any residues from cleaners over the years is completely gone, even if you feel nothing was ever used. You can have all kinds of frustrating adhesion and contamination "fun" if anything even accidentally got on the speakers while someone was cleaning something else, etc.
    Appreciate the advice. What would you recommend cleaning them with?

Dawn dish soap in water first followed by a couple of wipe downs with pure mineral spirits, changing to new rags frequently.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Dawn dish soap in water first followed by a couple of wipe downs with pure mineral spirits, changing to new rags frequently.

John
    John, Can you be more specific on the "dawn soap in water" method? What's the "soap to water" ratio? The finish is currently perfect, so I'm sure this will raise the grain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Engelschall View Post
    John, Can you be more specific on the "dawn soap in water" method? What's the "soap to water" ratio? The finish is currently perfect, so I'm sure this will raise the grain.
    Just about as soapy as you'd use to wash the dishes. And if the existing finish is perfect, it's very unlikely that it will raise the grain. Just don't leave it soaking wet.

Blog Entries
    I just spray black stain...