Thread: Low Gloss / Zero Gloss Drink Coasters

Question Low Gloss / Zero Gloss Drink Coasters

I'm looking to make drink coasters in the shape of a 6 piece puzzle set. My thought is to use two or three different hard woods for some contrast to make it decorative as well as functional.

I'm looking for a low to zero gloss finish that will bring out the grain like a 2-part oil finish. I like how the grain pops with the 2-part oil finish.

Is there a finish material that can get somewhere between high water resistance to water proof and have zero gloss?

Seems to me for a flat finish you either have lots of fine scratches to dull a gloss finish, or flatteners added to the finish. Either will reduce the clarity of the finish somewhat. But lots of folks make flat finish poly; I'd probably give that a try.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Seems to defeat the purpose of a coaster. I thought coasters were to be water absorbent to soak up the condensation and keep the table dry. Finishing wood coasters with a finish would not allow the coaster to do its job. JMHO
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Seems to defeat the purpose of a coaster. I thought coasters were to be water absorbent to soak up the condensation and keep the table dry. Finishing wood coasters with a finish would not allow the coaster to do its job. JMHO
    Huh? I never looked at it that way. Good point!

Should I just use an oil finish to give some durability and still allow the surface to wet out some?

These are mainly decorative but still need to be functional.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    You bring up a good point, but I think this may be a regional thing. The humidity levels here (Calgary) are generally quite low & it's not often that there's enough condensation on a glass that it would overflow the edges of a coaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    You bring up a good point, but I think this may be a regional thing. The humidity levels here (Calgary) are generally quite low & it's not often that there's enough condensation on a glass that it would overflow the edges of a coaster.

Do we know were the op is from, is he making these to sell all over the country. Personally I think wood coasters should not have a finish on them , but hey to each his own.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Low/zero gloss won't pop the grain. What about using something with a higher gloss level and gluing a cork disk in the center of the coaster to absorb the liquid, like on many commercial coasters?

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Low/zero gloss won't pop the grain. What about using something with a higher gloss level and gluing a cork disk in the center of the coaster to absorb the liquid, like on many commercial coasters?

John
    This will be a Christmas gift, decorative, but needs some durability. I plan on two or three unique wood types for visual contrast, so the wood cant be covered.

As for pop, I helped with a live edge walnut table this past spring and the 2-part oil most definitely helped the grain pop, or maybe better described as bring out the tones. It had a beautiful matte or flat look where you could seen the grain from almost any angle, no sheen or glare.

Like deck teak on a boat, minus the varnish??