Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source of cabinet grade plywood in my area

Source of cabinet grade plywood in my area

I have a difficulty to find cabinet grade plywood for my coming project. We are building a small house and I am planning to build kitchen cabinets, insert cabinets for it.
    Is anybody know a good/reasonable source for plywood, lumber in my area - Hot Springs,VA with zip 24445.
    I know some forum member lives in VA and may have knowledge where to buy.

Thank you,
    Ed.

R S Monger & Sons Inc, in Harrisonburg, VA
    They do not stock it normally, but will order it for you.
    I bought 3/4" cherry plywood from them when I built my son's house...
    They are good folks to deal with.

check out Wurth wood group … I purchase out of their Richmond location, but they also have a store in Roanoke.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

I wouldn’t use the term “cabinet grade” …..seen too many problems. I would order “sawn”, not rotary cut”.

I've a camp outside of Monterey that I've worked several projects over the years. Finding the "odd stuff" that the big box stores don't carry has been a bit of an exercise over the years. I've had good luck with Native Lumber in Dayton. My residence is in the Hampton Roads area so generally, I got what I needed there and hauled what I needed for the immediate project when I went to the cabin. I needed T&G pine for some walls and ceiling repair (Wall board does not tolerate a long term unconditioned environment well) Native Lumber had it in stock. They bailed me out on a couple of other projects as well. Not sure what they stock in plywood. What I needed I could get near home at Wurth. Check out whats available in Covington. They are a good deal closer to Hot Springs ang google shows what appears to be a few possible sources for what you need. Good Hunting.

Forgot about Native Lumber at Dayton.... They sell KDAT pressure treated wood... (Kiln Dried After Treatment).. you cannot buy a better treated wood for decks / construction.. They are also good folks to work with...

Guys, thank you very much for all info. Now time to start calling.
    Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I wouldn’t use the term “cabinet grade” …..seen too many problems. I would order “sawn”, not rotary cut”.
    Mel, can you explain the difference. Thanks brian
    Brian

Wurth wood group sell only to businesses, no luck there
    Ed.

I buy from the Wurth Group near the Charlotte, NC Airport and they have never asked if I was a business, but then I know what I want when I go there and don't buy one sheet at a time. It's usually 3-5 minimum or more, so several hundred $$ at a time, and I pay cash. They do carry the better qualities of Baltic Birch and several versions of what you are calling "Cabinet Birch". Know what you want and how to ask for it, pay cash, and you won't have trouble dealing with them. Also, be prepared with trailer or truck to take it from their loading dock. It's those who "can't decide" and "want to look at everything before buying" that waste their time that they don't want to do business with. They are basically a wholesaler and not at all interested in dealing with most homeowners who "know little about what they want" and "can't decide" or "can you cut it for me ?" people that they refuse to do business with.

Charley

Charles makes a good point...most sheet goods suppliers will "not care" if you are a business if it 1) doesn't come up in conversation, 2) you know what you want and are buying a reasonable, even if small quantity and 3) pay cash. What they are not is a retail business. Make a list of what you want/need/could-use-over-time, contact them for availability and pricing on exactly what you want and then make arrangements for when you can come by to pick up or for delivery if that's available. Industrial Plywood, whom I buy from up here in PA, delivers for free any order over $300 which isn't very hard to achieve, for example.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You best bet may be Rugby in Roanoke but if your looking to going in an pick onesey-twosey it may not work out. They may have your area in their delivery territory. They inventory S4S and some rough hardwoods I believe, hinges, fasteners, and so on. We've never purchased any hardwood from them but have seen a lot on their truck when they were delivering here and it looked more than suitable. Great people to deal with. They were our Salice distributor for a long time til they stopped coming into the core of WV.

Thank you for more info.
    Yes, I understood hesitancy of wholesaler work with homeowners. But to have a cash in the pocket, I would like to know price. On Wurth Group website price is not available without signing in and you can not sign in without having a business.
    email I got from Wuth Group - Thank you for contacting Wurth Wood Group and your interest in becoming an account holder!In your registration you indicated that you do not have a registered business or Tax ID number, therefore we can’t approve your registration.Wurth Wood Group is a business to business wholesale distributor who services craft or industry professionals looking for a long-term distributor partnership.

If you still feel like you meet the requirements of a business to business relationship, please contact your local branch "Click here"

We wish you well in your search.

Ed.
    Last edited by Eduard Nemirovsky; 11-01-2021 at 5:33 PM. Reason: add

I guess they don't want your trade if you are "merely" a serious woodworker. Sad, but it happens. One additional option might be to work with a local cabinet shop for material purchases. Some are willing to do that for a few extra shekels and it helps their volume buying. The same folks may also be willing to sell off-cuts that they would normally trash.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Just call or stop in to your local wurth branch. They wont turn their nose up at cash. If you want access to more than home.center dont get your nose in a twist.