Thread: Dust collection on a 20 inch thickness planer

Dust collection on a 20 inch thickness planer

Hello, I recently purchased a 20 inch Grizzly 1033 planer with the helical head. It is replacing a 20 inch RBI planer with 3 blades. The RBI had 6 inch dust port, and I had a 6 inch drop of plastic hose right to the machine. The Grizzly has a 5 inch dust port on the machine. My question is should I go from the ceiling and reduce it to 5 inch with a 5 inch hose or use the 6 inch hose and reduce it at the machine? Or an I over thinking this?
    Thanks in advance, Kevin

Kevin I would just reduce it at the machine. It will work just fine, probably more efficient than reducing to 5''.

At the machine.

Erik

My method of judging enough DC on a planer is when it throws a shaving out the infeed side, it hovers in the air for a split second, and gets sucked back in, and away.

5 inch is a bit small for a 20” planer.

I would use the 6 inch hose and reduce it at the planer…..Rod

Thanks for the replies. Reducing it at the machine is where I was headed, just thought I would see what people thought.
    I have a lot of time using a Powermatic 20 inch planer that also had a 5 inch at the machine with a 5 inch drop from the ceiling and it worked fine. The original hose is about 10 inches too short so I have a new 5 foot piece coming tomorrow. I hope the factory adjustments are to spec. The manual says the roller height to be set at .002-.020. The Powermatic specs were .003 hardwood and.006 for softwood. I set them at .0045 and it worked great for a shared wood shop with 50 members.

i have grizzly 20 " planer with byrd head.. i reduced at the planer hood from 6 to 5". never had issur.

Griz 20"er with helical head and have a 4" flex hose drop to 5"-4" reducer at the machine. No problem with 2hp cyclone and the planer has a <8' flex hose run to 7" main duct line closest to the blower.

works great and bigger would be even better.