Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: secretary

secretary

I built this for my son and daughter in law. It was built to fit a particular location in a small house, but I took so long to finish it that they had moved before it was done.
    The overall design is based on a Greene and Greene secretary, the center door carving is copied from a Byrdcliffe desk, and the side doors from a flower book. I used asters (Adam) and iris (Ildiko) to match their names, the carved panels are butternut. The color wash was a last minute choice, using watered down acrylic. The curly cherry for the drawers was a spur-of-the moment purchase, "curly cherry" was written on the 'specials' chalkboard at the hardwood dealer one day. Inside the left door is a duplex outlet: 2 outlets and 2 USB, wooden cover plate. Most often you will find it open with a bunch of cords sticking out. Handles were done on the bandsaw, with threaded inserts added.

I often try to do one new thing on each project, but with this one I overextended myself: carved doors, resawing thin stock for the interior and assembling it, knife hinges, recessed doors (1/8" a la Greene and Greene). But I eventually made it. I can see lots of imperfections (of course) but they are happy with it. (The drawers don't interchange left-right, for instance; I thought I had centered the stile but it's off 1/8). One neat detail: when I was ready to add the leather interior for the main door, I remembered a box of scraps from a deerskin jacket, sitting for years in a closet. One was just big enough, so the door interior is from a deer that Adam bagged when hunting with his grandfather, 20+ years ago.
    Terry T
    secretary1.jpeg
    secretary2.jpg
    Last edited by Terry Therneau; 10-30-2021 at 10:26 AM.

Nice.............................

Nicely done! The recessed doors look good and I like the knife hinges. (I havent tried those yet.) The figure on the drawers is gorgeous and the overall finish is very pleasing.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Beautiful work Terry. Any one of the "firsts" would have been a real challenge for me, let alone all of them. You nailed all of them IMHO. And the carved panels are stunning - they fit the piece perfectly. Well done - your son and daughter in law must be thrilled.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Beautifully done Terry!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

nice piece. Love the artwork. Makes it unique.

Absolutely gorgeous! .
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

A very nicely done modern update of a classic 18th century design.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Excellent work. The cabinet turned out very well. I love the figure of your drawer fronts. The custom carvings, paint and leather really set it off. You should write up the details and print it on heavy card stock, laminate it and attach to the back. My brother in-law has a walnut secretary in his house that was a payment to his Grand Father who was a veterinarian. I can see this piece still being in the family generations from now.

Nice cabinet with a combination of design elements. Very creative and appealing.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Wow, wow, wow!!!

That's a fine design and I love the carved panels! Beautiful.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

That is an heirloom piece for sure.

One of a kind with the carvings!

Messrs. Greene and Greene would be proud to claim it as their own. Overcoming slips is the mark of great skill.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful!