Thread: plastic and metal

plastic and metal

I'm finding plastic and metal often stick. Two examples: I have some Greenworks battery tools and it's almost impossible for my wife and I to separate the pole saw sections and remove the battery (which is plastic on plastic) without a rubber hammer. The second is trying to remove new Delrin bushings from a mandrel. I have to hold it with a plyers, turn the lathe on and gently move it off. Is there a recommended lubricant for situations like this? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    I'm finding plastic and metal often stick. Two examples: I have some Greenworks battery tools and it's almost impossible for my wife and I to separate the pole saw sections and remove the battery (which is plastic on plastic) without a rubber hammer. The second is trying to remove new Delrin bushings from a mandrel. I have to hold it with a plyers, turn the lathe on and gently move it off. Is there a recommended lubricant for situations like this? Thank you.
    I use a smear of silicone grease.

I have also used dialectic grease for this kind of issue. Auto supply store.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    I have some Greenworks battery tools and it's almost impossible for my wife and I to separate the pole saw sections and remove the battery (which is plastic on plastic) without a rubber hammer.
    One thing about the GW batteries: the rails/tabs that the battery slides on aren't really the problem. The only time I have trouble removing a battery is when it isn't really stuffed in all the way. What I do to remove it is push it back in first (just a light whack with my palm) before I touch the release, works every time.

You may notice that after the battery in inserted and locked, it's possible to pull it back a bit...not much, just a millimeter or so. What I think happens then is that the lock/release widget either doesn't release cleanly or ends up pushing the battery so it binds against the rails.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.