Thread: Questions: EM8000cv over cured Waterlox

Questions: EM8000cv over cured Waterlox

Now that I have a Fuji 3 spray system, I would like to apply the finish coats on a chair that has been in process for over a year. It is cherry and has a couple of coats of Waterlox applied at least a year ago.

I plan to use Target EM8000cv that I have on hand. (1) Would it be okay to apply this on top of the Waterlox or should I spray a coat of shellac first? (2) Is the crosslinker essential for a durable finish in view of wear from use as well as mild cleaning agents in the future. (3) Also, what is the required ambient temperature range when spraying the EM8000cv?

Thanks!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Yes, you can spray it over the Waterlox as you note. Lightly abrade the Waterlox and I'd also do the barrier coat of wax free shellac, too...a very thin coat. The purpose of the cross linker is largely to provide increased chemical resistance but it adds durability, too. If you feel that will be beneficial for a chair, no issue going for it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks, Jim. Spot on information as always.

Personally, I would probably not do the shellac. I'd just sand and apply the EM8000.

I've had good luck with this product, but don't expect it to perform like Waterlox. It's not bullet proof. It's good for a waterbased product - and it's my go-to for everything from kitchen tables to guitars. But this is primarily because it's so easy and quick to apply. It will not, however, out perform Waterlox or Arm R Seal.

To that end, for chairs, have you considered just applying a couple more coats of Waterlox Original Sealer Finish (original formula)? It's easy to get a flawless finish on chairs with this, so some of the benefit of spraying goes away on chairs (for me).

Thanks for your response, Prashun. Both Waterlox and Arm R Seal are great products that I have used on many projects. My problem is getting even coverages on the rails between the three back splats. I am hoping that the spray unit will be better at getting into the smaller areas that need coverage even though overspray and product wasting will result. Time will tell.