Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FedEx

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    It's variable depending on your locale! Fedex here was my carrier of choice when I was still working! Now retired, they are still my carrier of choice!
    That has been our experience as well. SWMBO has had a few packages sent by USPS take the "scenic route" but neither FedEx or UPS has messed anything up that I can recall.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    . . . . I have motion sensor which signal the house and the shop if they (or anyone) pull into the driveway by the gate.

JKJ
    John, What motion sensor do you use? I have been searching for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zona View Post
    John, What motion sensor do you use? I have been searching for one.
    I use the Chamberlain "Wireless Motion Alert" CWA2000

The box with a spare claims 1/2 mile range. It's about 1/4mile to my gate/mailbox through the trees and they work fine. I mount one outside the gate and two on the fence near the drive, one close to the gate and one further down. The box claims you can use up to 8 sensors on one receiver but the most I've had is 3. I have a receiver in the house and one in the shop. The different sensors make different alerts - one beeps multiple times. This way I can tell if a carrier/potential thief/axe murder or even friend/family is outside the gate or has gotten in with or without the code and is coming down the drive.

The only problem I've had with these is the contacts on a couple of old sensors have corroded when a AA battery leaked. I now put a glob of dielectric grease on the contacts and check the batteries once a year or so.

JKJ

Thanks. Sorry for the hujack.

Current status
    FedEx.jpg
    Do they have a time machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Current status
    FedEx.jpg
    Do they have a time machine?

Ground Hog Day?

Why are shipping companies not refunding the extra amount paid when a package is shipped next day AM and arrives several days late? This is causing companies with employees in the field lots of time and money. The shippers (like FedEx) have CYA language on their websites saying 'we hope to get your package to you by this time'.

Well I will be darned, or worse. I just now rec’d the chisel. Ordered on 10/2, in FedEx hands 10/5 and I rec’d the replacement from TWW which they re-shipped on 10/25. Just had a conversation with TWW and they’re think the original will still show up. They have been excellent to deal with. This week we rec’d all three packages which were ordered in early Oct. FedEx is in deep trouble out here. You can tell that when you never see the same driver twice and those you see are generally quite lost. I have never seen a Ray Iles chisel before. This thing is a beast. Have to give it a go once I get up off the floor on this flooring job at the house. I will be doing more business with Tool for Woodworking.

Glad you finally got somthing

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    Well I will be darned, or worse. I just now rec’d the chisel. Ordered on 10/2, in FedEx hands 10/5 and I rec’d the replacement from TWW which they re-shipped on 10/25. Just had a conversation with TWW and they’re think the original will still show up. They have been excellent to deal with. This week we rec’d all three packages which were ordered in early Oct. FedEx is in deep trouble out here. You can tell that when you never see the same driver twice and those you see are generally quite lost. I have never seen a Ray Iles chisel before. This thing is a beast. Have to give it a go once I get up off the floor on this flooring job at the house. I will be doing more business with Tool for Woodworking.
    I'm finding Fedex is just sucking all the way around. An order shipped on Monday November 29th was progressing across the country. Made it to St Peters Missouri yesterday and these were all early AM entries. Departed at 3:17 AM presumably for the closest distribution center to me. Next updates say Big Timber Montana. Now 2 entries for there. It's physically impossible to drive that distance in 12 hours. So did my ground shipment become an air shipment? Did they damage the bar code and it's not scanning correctly? Is their system just that big of a mess? It still says delivering tomorrow. Waiting to see the next update. There have been numerous packages lately that get delayed because of "damaged" labels. I think when you rely totally on contractors to do almost all the handling unless it's an over night delivery you end up with little control of the process. Their business model is crumbling in my opinion.

Did you read about the FedEx driver who dumped 100's of packages in a ravine? Might explain some missed deliveries.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/02/u...es-dumped.html

I saw that John. You have to wonder how someone would get to the point that rather then deliver the goods in todays digital world that it would simply be better to just dump them. FedEx was the gold standard in shipping, but the service went to hell when turned over to franchisees. I had multiple discussions with their offices and they said the Roseville, CA area was a mess, but certainly was not alone as they are having problems across the country. So, the Gold Standard has spotty service now. I received the original chisel shipped on 10/05 on 11/22. The box was thrashed but a 1/2 Ray Iles chisel cannot be hurt. A friend was visiting when the second chisel arrived. we called TWW and he bought it. Very quick delivery on that one. TWW were excellent and engaged throughout this whole ordeal. Now when I call them they pick up and say, “Hi Jack!”

That logistics works as well as it does is a miracle. We ship a ton of things for business throughout the world. Consumers think it all happens miraculously. When the fragile system gets stressed and the real people in the process start to break, we sit here behind our keyboards and talk about how bad the company is. Yes it sucks. But it’s more complicated than particular incidents.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Current status
    FedEx.jpg
    Maybe they just got the year wrong.

Our UPS guy said they (and FED EX) no longer ring the bell because of COVID protocols. They are continually tracked by GPS and timed to meet quotas, so they have big incentive to cut corners. Our USPS guy is the best: right to the door, knocks, and puts packages where they cant be seen from the street.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Most package deliveries to me work well. However, one local company, OnTrac, is just horrible. On more than one occasion they claimed to have delivered a package but didn't. When pushed, the package was "found" at the hub. I refuse to have any package delivered by them.

Generally UPS is good, but I had a problem with them delivering some wine, which had to be signed for. UPS has good tracking of their drivers, which allows you to see where the driver is with your package. I was following the guy/gal and s/he was only a few stops from my house. Next thing I know, I get a message that they tried to deliver but no one answered.

So I go and check my doorbell - works. Ii also have two dogs who go crazy if someone knocks or rings the doorbell - not a sound from them. And my garage door was open so the driver had to know we were home. The driver just didn't want to take the time to do a signature delivery.

So I wrote a letter to UPS HQ and complained. Eventually, I got a call from the main office and the caller told me that they had contacted the local office and the driver was "counseled".

But, overall, UPS does a good job. Amazon deliveries also are very good. Sometimes I get a picture of the package showing where it was delivered.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.