Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FedEx

FedEx

I understand the supply chain and help issues we are dealing with over all, or is that overall, but my frustration with FedEx is about at the limit. Historically they have always been so reliable, but they have driven the business off a cliff, from where I sit. We currently have three packages, one prescription drugs, that have been bouncing around the country since the beginning of Oct. We can track them as they move from place to place and they get everywhere but here. Based upon recommendations here I ordered a !/2” Ray Iles mortise chisel the beginning of Oct. It was picked up by FedEx on 10/5 and it is now somewhere in the ether. At this point, where I was always happy and confident in selecting FedEx as a shipper I will use anything but.

Blog Entries
    Don't be so sure that your product is actually on the way until it is logged in at the carrier. Some shipping software shows tracking information as soon as the shipping label is created, before the product is even pulled off the shelf, much less put in a box and shipped. I just went through this with some warranty parts for our double hung windows. The issuing of the shipping label triggered an email to me.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    FedEx can be really good or it can be terrible.

Part of the problem seems to be the individual carriers are not FedEx employees. They are independent contractors.

This was so bad at my old residence that my instructions with some vendors was to not ship via FedEx. That is when one of the higher ups in the company told me the carrier was responsible for lost deliveries or packages thrown over a fence at the wrong address.

Package delivery can be a high stress job.

Have you ever seen an old UPS person deliver your packages?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    I was always happy and confident in selecting FedEx as a shipper I will use anything but.
    I also won't use them if I have a choice.
    I'm currently waiting on a package that should be here today, only this is that the tracking shows the last check was 3:30 this morning about 600 miles away. I'm not holding my breath.
    The loacal delivery drivers also have a habit of just dropping things on the driveway, not on the front porch. I have to go out and do a loop around the house and drive just to make sure they didn't just drop my package "somewhere" on my property.
    The whole company has been going on a downward curve IMHO.

It's variable depending on your locale! Fedex here was my carrier of choice when I was still working! Now retired, they are still my carrier of choice!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

For years my local fedex driver would post that my road had a locked gate.... There is NO gate anywhere on my road... also he said road impassable... however, UPS, USPS, Estes (trucking company) had no problems making deliveries...

Had to stop buying from vendors if the only method of delivery was fedex...

Recently we have a new driver (female) who has no problems making deliveries...

Fedex supervisors were no help ...

Of FedEx, UPS and USPS, FedEx is the worst. They just drop the package at the door in plain view of any passerby. They never ring the bell to alert you that the package is there, so package theft is always a possibility. If given a choice I always choose another delivery service, but some companies contract with them.

My experience is marginal at best with Fedex. A package a couple weeks ago got wet somewhere in their possession and they had used practically a whole roll of packing tape to close the box up. Fortunately the contents were in plastic or it would have been unfit for use. I have a package enroute now with them that it states in the tracking that the label became illegible and was replaced. So what's that mean the box is crushed? As was stated they use contractors so you have no idea who might deliver the shipment from one day to the next. I fought until I gave up at work getting them to deliver to the correct location. As with most large businesses it's not unusual to have more than one physical address. Time after time after time they drop it at the location that's convenient rather than what's on the label. Sort of like your last name being Smith so any Smith in the area will do. UPS isn't perfect by any means and they have had a few hiccups themselves but their drivers are employees and are usually dependable.

UPS always places my packages on the porch and rings the bell, Between the Amazon contractors and FedEx, you never know where your package might end up. I've had computer monitors left on the driveway, I've had other items left out in front of my garage, as if it were my front door and some just thrown (literally) on the lawn.
    imageId-d6be19bd-fada-a426-a36c-10b8a8209669.jpg
    At the back of the photo, in the shade, is the porch.
    The driver actually sat in the truck and tossed them out into a pile

The service is probably different in different areas.

Both FedEx and UPS are extremely good here. I made a large steel lock box for outside our security gate at the farm (with steel legs concreted into the ground) and all the carriers use it. I have motion sensor which signal the house and the shop if they (or anyone) pull into the driveway by the gate.

In fact the FedEx guy told me once the box saved him a lot of trouble - said he wished more people had those.

If an object is too big for the box I've had the driver call me and ask if he could leave it on the ground just inside the gate. (I get to know most of the drivers. Maybe that's more common in a rural area than in town/suburb.

JKJ

Just opened an email from UPS with this in it:

UPS rate hike.jpg

I'm supposing UPS is just the tip of the 'berg...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    The service is probably different in different areas.

Maybe that's more common in a rural area than in town/suburb.

JKJ
    The service is different depending on what Hub of facility the drivers work out of.
    I live in a rural area but the drivers come from the big city and some don't always like driving all the way out here, as I've heard them say.
    FedEx also makes it so difficult to actually file a complaint, most people don't go through the hassle.
    Some guy can't deliver a package properly and you're the one sitting on hold for a half an hour to complain, doesn't seem right somehow does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    The service is different depending on what Hub of facility the drivers work out of.
    I live in a rural area but the drivers come from the big city and some don't always like driving all the way out here, as I've heard them say.
    FedEx also makes it so difficult to actually file a complaint, most people don't go through the hassle.
    Some guy can't deliver a package properly and you're the one sitting on hold for a half an hour to complain, doesn't seem right somehow does it.
    That's one of the oddities of Fedex. Some packages come from one hub and some from another. My UPS always comes from one hub exclusively. Usually only one or two drivers for all of it unless someone is on vacation. Filing a complaint with either is difficult. I tried to complain about a Fedex delivery left at a different address than mine. They didn't care.

I see Fedex, USPS, and Amazon all drive their vehicles up my fairly long driveway to drop my packages off. Not sure about UPS as I don't get a whole lot of UPS deliveries. Luckily, no delivery driver has ever just dropped a package off at the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Just opened an email from UPS with this in it:

I'm supposing UPS is just the tip of the 'berg...
    And I'm supposing the free shipping ride with the average retailers is coming to an end.

And Amazon Prime is going to see it's second increase shortly after the new year.

Say hello to the new round of inflation.