Thread: Replacement yokes for hand planes.

Replacement yokes for hand planes.

I ran across this youtube video that involves replacing an adjuster yoke on a Stanley Bailey hand plane. Two yokes are available with one needing more fitting than the other.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS8voV3jmh8
    This is a different source than Wood River or Clifton yokes.
    I would probably use different methods for some fitting areas.
    Best
    Joe

Why not just leave the plane alone and use what you have. If your yoke is broke, please let me know and I will send you one.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bussey View Post
    Why not just leave the plane alone and use what you have.
    Kind of an odd thing to be hostile about – there's nothing wrong with trying to improve the performance of a tool, aside from the fact that a lot of otherwise serviceable vintage tools often need a part or two.

OP: Thanks for posting that. The idea of putting a wedge under the frog to increase the angle of attack is one I've thought about before but didn't have time to cobble together a test solution. I might treat myself to one of those.

Blog Entries
    The replacement yoke is $14.99. That is more than some of my old planes cost me.

If the blade backlash bothers a person that much, we now know there is a way $$$ can fix it.

Many years ago Bob Smalser posted on how he set his frog up to a higher angle > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?8136

Unfortunately he linked images instead of uploading them. It appears his links have since been broken. He did post an excellent write up of his process.

jtk

- had to double check on that post #, only four digits, it is old.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

One other item about "tight" yokes....They do need to move a bit....otherwise, you won't be able to move the lateral lever. Unless...you don't intend to use the lever....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I ordered one to try and fix a Stanley 4-1/2

slop wasn't the reason I ordered it. I upgraded the blade chipbreaker to a veritas set. however I discovered that when I tried to place the chipbreaker close to the edge of the blade (0.004") I discovered that the Yoke would swing out of engagement by the time I managed to lower the blade enough to plane anything.
    I bought the yoke hoping to drill the pivot point further from the Y section. I hope that will increase the range and fix the problem.

Ill let you know how it goes.

BTW I can say that James is a really nice guy, he responded quickly to my questions and provided outstanding customer service when I had shipping problems.
    I can't recommend the product (yet) but I definitely recommend the seller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Assaf Oppenheimer View Post
    I ordered one to try and fix a Stanley 4-1/2

slop wasn't the reason I ordered it. I upgraded the blade chipbreaker to a veritas set. however I discovered that when I tried to place the chipbreaker close to the edge of the blade (0.004") I discovered that the Yoke would swing out of engagement by the time I managed to lower the blade enough to plane anything.
    I bought the yoke hoping to drill the pivot point further from the Y section. I hope that will increase the range and fix the problem.

Ill let you know how it goes.

BTW I can say that James is a really nice guy, he responded quickly to my questions and provided outstanding customer service when I had shipping problems.
    I can't recommend the product (yet) but I definitely recommend the seller.
    This sounds like a very good reason to give the replacement yoke a try. Many have mentioned how using thicker irons have suffered from the original pawl on vintage planes being too short.

Surely there are folks here who are very interested in your results. Please keep us informed.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I am not hostile about anything. There is an old saying ,if it ain't broke don't fix it. I offered to send you one not sell you one, how is that hostile. But what ever.
    Tom