Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Device or hardware To Move Monitor In And Away

Device or hardware To Move Monitor In And Away

I need some hardware that would enable me able to pull my monitor closer in to my face, so I don't need to lean forward so much which strains the old back! Google isn't helping as I don't know what this would be called. Something like a drawer slide?

It would need to mount to the counter, or maybe to the wall which is 20" behind the monitor. Anyone have any suggestions, or at least what this is called??

this is the setting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WoodsShop

You could try a TV wall mount but you would probably need to mount it to a false wall as I don't think many will extend far enough for your application. This one extends 14.5" and retracts back to 2.2".
    https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...BAgBEEE&adurl=

I came up with a thing, post 11 this thread: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....component-help

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Wood View Post
    ... what this is called??
    Might try this: https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Compute.../dp/B01HSJN0HK
    You could install with only 1 arm, for your use with a single monitor.

I didn't look past this 2-head unit, but perhaps there is a similar single-arm unit? (I suspect any such 'single arm' may be called a "stand"...?)

ETA - Yep, they call this one a "stand": https://www.amazon.com/Monitor-Stand...098N8GP9D&th=1
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 10-27-2021 at 4:29 PM.

Search for monitor arm. You will find there are too many options to sort through. I have two monitors and ended up buying an open box 3M one from an Ebay seller. If you're going to move the monitor regularly you will want to get one that has a hinge or something where the parts of the arm intersect. The cheap monitor arms are probably going to wear out from moving them all the time.

I've bought a lot of monitor arms for work over the years, from many different brands. My favorite is Ergotron. They aren't cheap, but they are a quality product that is smooth to operate and easy to adjust. You can get models that mount on the desk (either by clamping to the edge or through a hole drilled in the top) or mount directly to the wall. If I remember right, you're looking at spending about $140 for either a wall mount or desk mount single arm. They come in either black or aluminum finish. Some styles can be had in a white finish.

Derek

Good job Derek, those monitor arms look pretty good, now I know the name to search for

I was just looking at this one https://woodworker.com/cos-lcd-monit...su-142-625.asp
    but you link looks to be a better quality.
    WoodsShop

Ergotron is great, but expensive. Try searching EBay for 3M MA120MB or MA140MB. Good monitor arms, but sold way less than regular retail on Ebay. I bought the dual monitor version of the MA140MB for my dual monitors. The one I got was open box, but still just like new for about half of what others sell them for.

yeah those look nice Brian, but how about this one with a gas spring? would a gas spring be nice to have?

this one
    WoodsShop

I use Vivo brand mounts purchased from Amazon. Very good quality and very reasonable prices...many configurations to fit whatever situation you want. I'm literally using a dual monitor version with twin 27" screen as I type this and Professor Dr. SWMBO has a single monitor version downstairs in her office with a 32" wide monitor on it. I use a single monitor version in the shop for my CNC's computer screen.

https://smile.amazon.com/stores/node...eb_11693193011
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you're going to adjust monitors up and down constantly a gas cylinder might be better. I looked at a lot of reviews of the inexpensive monitor arms sold on Amazon and most got bad reviews. I found the 3M products while searching. I bought the 3M for around $140 and I have been happy with them.

Search Vivo on Amazon. Once you like some particular type, you can check other brands based on budget.

I personally use Vivo pole based mount with my 3 monitors. It allows 3D adjustability to position the monitors. This type is not good if you want to regularly change position of monitors.

Search for "Amazon basics Lift Engine Arm Mount". You will find some fully articulating options. These are pretty good. If budget is not a concern then look for Ergotron brand for similar mounts.

To simply be able to move a monitor back and forth on a desk or table, just get one of these appliance 'sliders'--

https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Slidi...7K6DFG6Y&psc=1

They're several types available, we have these 2 like in the ad above-
    slidein.jpg slideout.jpg
    very simple, they roll easily, and I just measured these, the slide distance is just shy of 9".
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

The Ergotron arms are more expensive, but the movement is much smoother and requires less effort than most of the cheaper arms. Plus, they are easy to adjust to the weight of your monitors. I've bought some less expensive arms that I could not make work with my monitors because the adjustment would not go low enough to balance the light monitor's weight, even though the manual says it should.

From what I understand, Chief mounts are top-of-the-line, but very expensive. I'm looking at a Chief mount for the television in my living room (82" Samsung) that can extend up to 31" from the wall as well as move up and down, and tilt both horizontally and vertically. The mount is around $700 so I haven't bought it yet, but when I get ready to redo the nook area where my TV is I'll splurge on it.

+1 for a dedicated monitor arm. I have a three-monitor mount (Amazon) on my desk and wouldn't go back to fixed stands.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep