Thread: Is the Harbor Freight Inside Track worth the $29.99 a year cost?

Is the Harbor Freight Inside Track worth the $29.99 a year cost?

They are putting in a new Harbor Freight store about 15 minutes from my house.
    I can justify going there a lot more now that one is closer.

HF does have a lot of stuff I use, so, it isn't a question of using it or not from that standpoint.

What concerns me is all the comments from people in the reviews that say the discounts aren't anywhere near what they claim.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I think it depends upon what kind of things you buy and at what volume. My impression is that the "Inside Track" members largely benefit from slightly better pricing on the lower cost "do dads" and supplies plus some occasional better discounts on specific sales. In the store, the shelf labels for products that get extra consideration from members are provided accordingly. I shop there at this point for stuff but don't believe my own activity would benefit much from the program. The 10% off on everything all the time deal with their card is better, but you have to get their card. I'm not into that and stick with thee 2% rebate I get with ApplePay using the AppleCard. I will tell you that it's really nice to have a local store. It used to be quite a drive for me. Now, it's not. They've kicked some things up a notch in quality in recent years, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It was worth it for a year or two.

It was worth it when I bought $500 tool chest and saved $50 by paying $30 to join the club. I will not renew since I do not spend $300 a year there. If I buy another tool chest I will rejoin the club.
    Bill D

I joined for 1 year, and they offered a 6" JET jointer for $200. I still use that jointer.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    They are putting in a new Harbor Freight store about 15 minutes from my house.
    I can justify going there a lot more now that one is closer.

HF does have a lot of stuff I use, so, it isn't a question of using it or not from that standpoint.

What concerns me is all the comments from people in the reviews that say the discounts aren't anywhere near what they claim.
    Wow...I have one 5 minutes from me. Where is this new one going to be? The one by me can't be more than 25 minutes from you.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

The new one is going in at Chapel Hill - right next to Home Depot!

Yeah I keep forgetting about the one in Streetsboro. I wanted to get something the other day from HF, but, didn't feel like driving down to Portage Lakes to pick it up. I didn't recall the store by you until it was too late - my wife and I went to Ruby Tuesday for dinner & drove right past HF.

Oh well. The one by me opens in November so I can hold off a week or two.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

HFT has been greatly increasing their locational footprint in the last couple of years.
    --

Kinda like the Dollar General of tool stores eh?

I'm one of the "I'll pay for it if I'm buying something that will save me more than not having it camp". Of course the last time I bought ITC it was $15. Before the coupons ended the stores I would go to would take the ITC coupons and not ask if you actually belong to the club. I found that odd since they have me in their computer so they should know. I rarely shop there since the closest one is over an hour away.

Not a bad example, although Dollar stores seem to proliferate like horny rabbits. HTF hasn't gone quite that far...
    --

Isn't that the truth? DG is adding many stores each year. People complain about what Walmart has done to small businesses but DG is going into small towns and putting small town grocery stores and variety stores out of business. Walmart doesn't build in towns of 500 people in the middle of nowhere but DG does.

Speaking of Harbor Freight, I was very surprised when I opened up the box to assemble the Bauer 20V pole saw I bought this week as it came with an Oregon bar and chain, the same brand I've been using for years on my Stihl gas saw.
    --

Hi, neighbors! With this year’s scaling back on coupons and sales I felt like my ITC membership might not be used much but I’m a big fan of their occasional “30% off unlimited items $20 and under” weekends ($10 and under w/o ITC). The Streetsboro store has always been reliable with coupons and that particular sale is great compared to the old 20% off buying one single item each time I’m in town. The 30% coupons always read “up to 5 items” but the discount has always applied to the entire cart and I’ve never had trouble with that at Streetsboro.

When I signed up online there was a $15 gift card and discount for two years. I took in a few receipts from previous purchases and price matched to the ITC discount so the sign up fee was covered without having to buy anything new. It’s worth checking past receipts if you’ve shopped there recently!

Ultimately I don’t think I will renew, though I’m surprised to still find diamonds in the rough there on occasion.

Blog Entries
    Go shopping, it will not take long to decide.
    The difference between a man and a boy is the price of his toys.

I shop at Lowes, Home Depot, and Harbor Freight, you will know when you see the solution.