Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rigid Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander

Rigid Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander

I finally gave up waiting for the Laguna SS14 to come into stock, and now the price jumped to 699 from 499, and still out of stock. i was about to order the Rikon which is 529 however for the amount I will need the tool, I decided to grab the Ridgid Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander for $269. I see some great reviews and others hate it. I guess I'll see this weekend if it arrives as expected this Friday.
    Last edited by Justin Rapp; 10-26-2021 at 8:52 PM.

It's been discussed here a few times as I recall. You might check the archives.
    Personally, it's on my "to buy" list whenever my DELTA BOSS craps out.
    Let us know how you like it.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    I've had a Ridgid for at least 15 years & it's had a lot of very heavy use thrown at it. I wouldn't put it in the same league as heavy iron, but it is a very good machine and and excellent value for the price. It is much better than a first impression would lead one to believe.

I’ve had one for over 10 years, love it, and I’ve used it for so many hours. I thought I’d buy another one a couple years ago to keep just in case this one died and the prices went up, but the new one oscillated differently. The old one was smooth and continuous, but the newer one would go up, pause for a sec, go down, pause and repeat. I returned it, maybe it was defective, who knows. I’d be interested in knowing if yours is continuous or has the pauses.

I see them in the background of so many pics of workshops. It seems everyone has one.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I resemble that remark...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I purchased the Ridgid several years ago and like it. I've used it pretty hard, and sand both wood and aluminum. It still works well. I did upgrade the dust collection on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Let us know how you like it.
    Fredrick - I will let you know. I am pretty critical on tools and have tried to stop buying twice and now just go for a better quality tool, even if it's over my needs. Reading the forum discussions here on the Ridgid and also seeing it in shop pics and some reviews on youtube, I decided to give it a try. I am usually not so keen on the reviews that people post on the store's web site, as you will get a lot more people posting a review when they are unhappy. So a 1000 good reviews and 100 bad reviews is maybe more like 5000 happy tool users vs 100 unhappy users. Also, I see posts 'damaged in shipping and not usable' and give it 1 start. Not the tools fault the shipped mis-handled it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Evans View Post
    I’ve had one for over 10 years, love it, and I’ve used it for so many hours. I thought I’d buy another one a couple years ago to keep just in case this one died and the prices went up, but the new one oscillated differently. The old one was smooth and continuous, but the newer one would go up, pause for a sec, go down, pause and repeat. I returned it, maybe it was defective, who knows. I’d be interested in knowing if yours is continuous or has the pauses.

I see them in the background of so many pics of workshops. It seems everyone has one.
    Jason - I will let you know once I have it set up and working.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    I purchased the Ridgid several years ago and like it. I've used it pretty hard, and sand both wood and aluminum. It still works well. I did upgrade the dust collection on it.
    Lisa - what did you do to upgrade the dust collection? I am a big fan of all dust going into a bag, not my lungs.

Justin I bought a re-conditioned one 15 years ago and still running. It's worked great for me. Mike O'Keefe

I second the Ridgid machine.

Well-built and priced reasonably.

Mine's lasted more than 20 years with some mighty heavy usage thrown at it.

Make sure to attach your shopvac EVERY time you use it, no matter how briefly. And clamp it to your bench. Or even better bolt it to a board and then clamp the board to your bench. It does flex a little and bolting it adds to its rigidity (ridgidity?).
    Howard Rosenberg

Justin,

If you google "Ridgid Sander Dust Collection upgrades" several come up. Mine is sort of a combo of a couple of them. I also expect to make an upgrade for when I use the spindle, but haven't gotten around to that yet.

As Lisa say's lot's of dust collection upgrades on line, here's another upgrade to make tightening the spindle easier. Rigid wrench.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    I finally gave up waiting for the Laguna SS14 to come into stock, and now the price jumped to 699 from 499, and still out of stock. i was about to order the Rikon which is 529 however for the amount I will need the tool, I decided to grab the Ridgid Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander for $269. I see some great reviews and others hate it. I guess I'll see this weekend if it arrives as expected this Friday.
    I've had one for many years and it has always done what I wanted.

JKJ

When I was ready to buy earlier this year the Rigid was not available. So I bought a Wen. I've been surprised how useful it is and how much power it has. I was building dining room chairs - 11. I wanted the sander to help sand the curved back legs and curved top rails. Worked great for that and lots of other stuff since. I don't know how my Wen compares to the Rigid but they look similar. I saw several other brands with basically the same specs. I almost always use the belt sander. But the spindle sander is occasionally useful.

Just looked at the Wen on line, looks a lot like the Rigid but appears to be a mirror image. On the Rigid the drive spindle is on the left and the holders for the drums go from small to large left to right. I suspect if you were used to the Rigid, the Wen would be awkward to use initially and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Just looked at the Wen on line, looks a lot like the Rigid but appears to be a mirror image. On the Rigid the drive spindle is on the left and the holders for the drums go from small to large left to right. I suspect if you were used to the Rigid, the Wen would be awkward to use initially and vice versa.
    I did look at the Wen and it is a slightly smaller overall, except for the sanding sleeve and belt. 3.5 vs 5.0 amp motor and a larger surface area on the bed. Considering the Ridgid is being delivered today so hopefully it works out well.