Thread: Broach for rectangular hole 6 mm x 8 mm in 15 mm aluminum starting from a 6 mm hole

Broach for rectangular hole 6 mm x 8 mm in 15 mm aluminum starting from a 6 mm hole

Know that square and hex broaches exist but what about rectangular? Could I make one or who could I buy one from.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Crosby View Post
    Know that square and hex broaches exist but what about rectangular? Could I make one or who could I buy one from.
    Greenlee makes rectangular punch and die sets, but I don't know if they have the size that you need.

https://www.greenlee.com/us/en/recta...-punches--dies

20 years as machinist and haven't heard of rectangular broaches. For sheet metal, like Scott says the punches. For thicker material I would take it a laser/waterjet shop or EDM for precise hole. I am assuming you want square corners.

To make one would be challenging. Keeping it straight through heat threat and then grinding each tooth for size and relief.

I do not see any reason you can not make one from a 8mm square one if you are talking a rotary broach. If you mean a push broach use a 6mm one. then end up with 2mm of shims on one side.
    Bill D