Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my NEW Epson ET-4800 printer yesterday: COOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got my NEW Epson ET-4800 printer yesterday: COOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Took awhile to set up and get it going. But, it prints GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!! Fast and real easy to load the ink bottles into the printer. Took some time to figure out how to get the Fax part of the printer set up. But, I eventually figured it out.

Now, THE BIG QUESTION !!!!!!!!!!

What brand and type of Photo paper, should I use for printing out pictures with this new Printer ??????

The cheapest glossy photo paper you can find will work wonderfully-

I have both cheap and expensive photo paper, can't tell any difference once they're covered in ink
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

'Glad you got the new printer up and running, Clarence! One hint...if you're not printing a lot, be sure you do a regular cleaning/maintenance just to keep things running smoothly. That's easier than having to run it multiple times if there's a long time between printing as sometimes happens with some of us.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martinn View Post
    [edited]
    Now, THE BIG QUESTION !!!!!!!!!!

What brand and type of Photo paper, should I use for printing out pictures with this new Printer ??????
    While most any paper will work, if you want a glossy print you need to use calendared or coated stock. Sometimes labeled "presentation bond."

There are also satin papers and heavy mat papers. Search > photo paper for printer <

Epson even offers a variety of papers > https://epson.com/pro-photo-legacy-papers

There is bound to be an art supply store in a larger city near you where you might be able to purchase individual sheets.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You'll have to do a review a year from now and let us know how you like it. I'm thinking that every brand will have at least one printer with tanks. I don't print much but if I was to get a new printer it would be one with tanks. I wonder how long it'll take before aftermarket bottles of ink will show up on Amazon.

I'm at two and a half years now, Alex...and still on the first year's worth of ink of the two that came with it. The only thing I had to buy so far is the "purge tank" that fills over time with cleaning cycles...It's about a $10 item.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'm at two and a half years now, Alex...and still on the first year's worth of ink of the two that came with it. The only thing I had to buy so far is the "purge tank" that fills over time with cleaning cycles...It's about a $10 item.
    "Purge Tank" ???? What is that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    The cheapest glossy photo paper you can find will work wonderfully-

I have both cheap and expensive photo paper, can't tell any difference once they're covered in ink
    What he said.

The Kirkland stuff from Costco is great...I have no idea who actually makes it.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    You'll have to do a review a year from now and let us know how you like it. I'm thinking that every brand will have at least one printer with tanks. I don't print much but if I was to get a new printer it would be one with tanks. I wonder how long it'll take before aftermarket bottles of ink will show up on Amazon.
    Pretty sure the answer to that question is "already".
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

I probably should have bought another printer. We just paid $103 for a set of ink cartridges for an HP printer.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I wonder if the bottles of ink are cheap enough that there isn't much demand for 3rd party ink.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I probably should have bought another printer. We just paid $103 for a set of ink cartridges for an HP printer.
    Somebody with time on their hands computed the cost of the ink in a certain HP cartridge. It worked out to $5,000/gallon. I wonder if yours beats that, depends on how much ink is in the cartridge. That plus 'expiring ink cartridges' are reasons I'm unlikely to own an HP printer. I wonder if HP is living on the reputation of old models. It's a shame for me, HP printers have probably the best Linux support but that doesn't offset the negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    'Glad you got the new printer up and running, Clarence! One hint...if you're not printing a lot, be sure you do a regular cleaning/maintenance just to keep things running smoothly. That's easier than having to run it multiple times if there's a long time between printing as sometimes happens with some of us.
    Brother inkjets run a small cleaning routine daily, usually right around noon. I've created a document with smallish shapes, like a circle or rectangle. I fill each shape with a color close to the ink cartridge color. If I haven't printed much that week I'd print that document, perhaps Saturday morning. That way it seems all the inkjet nozzles will have been exercised at least weekly. It seems to me that the print head is the part most likely to fail and difficult/expensive to repair or replace. Anything to prevent plugging and extend the life of the print head seems worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martinn View Post
    "Purge Tank" ???? What is that ?
    There is a removable and disposable "tank" that's used for ink consumed in the cleaning process, whether it's the automatic cycle that Curt mentions or for user-initiated cleaning/calibration purposes. When it gets filled up, it needs to be disposed of and replaced. 'Should be in the manual...yea, I know...who reads those?
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I wonder if the bottles of ink are cheap enough that there isn't much demand for 3rd party ink.
    I took a quick look and, yes, the third-party ink is cheaper than "factory", but not nearly the 2X-3X difference you see with regular ink cartridges or laser toner.