Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rockwell Unisaw #83-621

Blog Entries

Rockwell Unisaw #83-621

In my never ending search for a new saw ,There is a Rockwell unisaw for sale locally for $525. On it is "rockwell # 83-621" It includes a mobile base and looks to be in good condition.
    Any thoughts on how old this might be?
    It's wired for 220, and says it can run on 110, is this a switch that is easy to make or would I need an electrician
    Is this a reasonable price?
    thanks
    Dennis

I can't tell you the age of the saw but it is really easy to re-wire the motor from 110 to 220. Typically, there is a diagram on/in the motor that shows you which wires go where for the voltage you want.

If you have access to the serial number, you could try this to date the machine: http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/Del...alNumbers.ashx

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    In my never ending search for a new saw ,There is a Rockwell unisaw for sale locally for $525. On it is "rockwell # 83-621" It includes a mobile base and looks to be in good condition.
    Any thoughts on how old this might be?
    It's wired for 220, and says it can run on 110, is this a switch that is easy to make or would I need an electrician
    Is this a reasonable price?
    thanks
    The seller is probably not reading the right number. "83-621" is the model number of a Rockwell 1.5 HP motor, as typically found on some Delta & Rockwell unisaws.

For a possible reference, I had a 1978 Rockwell Unisaw, model number 34-466. It had a stock 3 HP Rockwell motor, part # 87-359.

Oh BTW: While the Rockwell & Delta Unisaws are based on the same design, the Rockwell units were made in Pitsburgh, supposedly by a team of German engineers. (I'm serious.) They are considered better made than their Delta counterparts.

Personally, I'd want a 3 HP motor, but 1.5 HP is probably plenty for most hobbyists. The big question is wether you like a rt-tilt machine. many folks today will tel you that left-tilt is better. I do not think so. IMO, a rt-tilt machine is actually better. You just set-up a slider on the left side. But, well, that's a huge point of contention right there.

Anyway, a Rockwell WITH a mobile base, if it all works and has a good fence, is a VERY good price, IMO. Heck, even with no fence, that's a good deal because of the base.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 04-02-2016 at 5:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    Oh BTW: While the Rockwell & Delta Unisaws are based on the same design, the Rockwell units were made in Pitsburgh, supposedly by a team of German engineers. (I'm serious.) They are considered better made than their Delta counterparts.
    I'm not so sure about that Allan. I believe the peace sign Rockells are the indicator that QC took a dip.

I'll quote Vintage Machinery here:

"In 1973 Rockwell Manufacturing was absorbed into Rockwell International. These machines are tagged with the easily identifiable R.I. 'Peace Sign'. Early machines of this era are fine and dandy. Later R.I. went on a cost savings spree and many machines suffered. I typically look at these with some caution and look for dates closer to the early 70's. I would consider a later machine if someone I knew and trusted was selling it."

http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/Del...alNumbers.ashx

Blog Entries
    The seller is probably not reading the right number. "83-621" is the model number of a Rockwell 1.5 HP motor, as typically found on some Delta & Rockwell unisaws.

For a possible reference, I had a 1978 Rockwell Unisaw, model number 34-466. It had a stock 3 HP Rockwell motor, part # 87-359.

Personally, I'd want a 3 HP motor, but 1.5 HP is probably plenty for most hobbyists. The big question is wether you like a rt-tilt machine. many folks today will tel you that left-tilt is better. I do not think so. IMO, a rt-tilt machine is actually better. You just set-up a slider on the left side. But, well, that's a huge point of contention right there.

Anyway, a Rockwell WITH a mobile base, if it all works and has a good fence, is a VERY good price, IMO. Heck, even with no fence, that's a good deal because of the base.
    I would guess that 99% of my cuts are straight. What are the pros and con of left vs. right tilt?
    What do you think it weighs?
    Do you think I could move it in my Honda Pilot?
    Thanks
    Dennis

Right tilt will "trap" the work piece when the blade tilted to a 45* or similar when the fence is to the right of the blade, so you must put the fence to the left of the blade and most saw rails don't go very far to the left.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Don't be too concerned about L vs R tilt. Plenty of us are happily using R tilt saws. An advantage of R tilt is the stationary arbor collar/washer is on the tape measure side, so you don't have to account blade thickness when changing blades or using a dado stack.

I agree with Matt, it's not that big of a deal. I have never used anything but right tilt and don't find it a problem.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I'm not so sure about that Allan. I believe the peace sign Rockells are the indicator that QC took a dip.

I'll quote Vintage Machinery here:

"In 1973 Rockwell Manufacturing was absorbed into Rockwell International. These machines are tagged with the easily identifiable R.I. 'Peace Sign'. Early machines of this era are fine and dandy. Later R.I. went on a cost savings spree and many machines suffered. I typically look at these with some caution and look for dates closer to the early 70's. I would consider a later machine if someone I knew and trusted was selling it."

http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/Del...alNumbers.ashx

Didn't know that. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I would guess that 99% of my cuts are straight. What are the pros and con of left vs. right tilt?
    What do you think it weighs?
    Do you think I could move it in my Honda Pilot?
    Thanks
    Weighs about 400 lbs. Take off the wings, fence and maybe the top to make the pieces more manageable. The motor comes out pretty easy also. You can get it in a pilot. They are smaller than you think.

Didn't know that. Thanks.
    No offense Allan, but if you don't know about something please don't post like you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    No offense Allan, but if you don't know about something please don't post like you do.
    There are many sites online that praise ALL the Rockwell Uni's, and never mention any quality issues.

Thus you ALSO should be careful, because on OWWM they do not state specifically that the Pittsburgh Unisaws were compromised in any way. Just that "some" Rockwell equipment was. (And this is also just one guy's opinion.) Given that the Unisaw is a standardized machine, it is actually quite unlikely that post 1973 machines were inferior. Mine was certainly built like a tank, was perfectly machined & aligned, and ran with zero issues.

In fact, you're a lot more guilty than I am on this point, so actually I do take offense. Having owned a Rockwell Uni, I once did a ton of research on them. Dozens and dozens of threads that praise the build quality, often OVER the same-year Delta, and in my note I still have some threads where owners specifically mention 1976 and 1977.

You? You found ONE website where ONE guy gave his personal opinion, (an opinion possibly based on nothing except he doesn't like hippies ) and that guy didn't even specifically mention Unisaws or the Pittsburgh plant.
    And then based on that one inconclusive piece of "evidence, you wrote: "I believe the peace sign Rockells are the indicator that QC took a dip."

Gimme a break ....
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 04-02-2016 at 7:00 PM.

More info for the OP:

there's no question that later Delta Unisaws had less beefy motor mounts, but that's the only certified difference I've ever found. Guys who are in love with "big old American 'arn" this naturally think this is a problem, yet these saws keep on working. The one major thing to realize though is that these mounts CAN break during transport, if you hit a lot of bumps. Definitely remove the motor, or at least brace it from underneath.
    - Having said that, back when I bought my used Rockwell, I stupidly transported it with its 3 ph / 3 HP motor just hanging out the side. The cargo van hit massive potholes on the NYC area highways going home, and I was really worried. - But zero damage. Maybe the Rockwells had beefier motor mounts than the Delta? I have no idea.

As for any other changes:

According to Keith Bonn, the post- 1973 machines that changed the most were the Bandsaw, and the sander. Neither were made in the Pittsburgh plant, as far as I can tell.

One should also note that in the OWWM serial # database, they don't even include some Rockwell-Pitsburgh numbers! For instance, my Uni was # KB2164, which according to that database, doesn't exist. Maybe "that guy" has never seen one of these machines?

And again, there are many reports & anecdotes about the Pittsburgh Rockwells being better made / machined than their Delta counterparts. All we can do is go by what's on the internet, taken as a whole.

Yes sir,I say its worth 500.00 if it has the fence and that 1.5hp 83-621 motor will out last any of those china made motors.The badge may be on the back side of the cabinet.
    Attached Images Attached Images