Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Minimax FS 41c vs Hammer A3-41

I just received my A3-41 a week ago and I finally have it unloaded, unpacked, and in my shop. There were no dips in the bed or manufacturing issues thus far. I will be powering up the beast today and testing it out.
    If they have them in stock in the US, I would not hesitate. The extensions are on backorder for another 6-8 weeks along with the 140mm to 4inch dust port reducer.

I've had my A3-41 since late 2020. I personally have not gotten the bed extensions but I missed having them on one project, more for edge jointing some long boards. Overall absolutely zero complaints. The dust collection is good. Only planing extra thick pieces starts to leave some chips. Its very quiet as others have mentioned.

I've only had to turn a few of the cutter heads. I nicked one of them and just turned a few in the same location because it wasn't obvious by sight. which one it was. The aluminum handle and digital display are worth it. I dialed it in decently but more important to me is matching pieces to each which this enables. I did have to recalibrate it once.

Additionally the Bora Portamate 3550 has been a perfect fit for a mobile base.

I'm not super impressed by the bed extensions. At least mine tilts downwards when loaded with something heavy, which is pretty much what I need them for, lighter things I often can handle without extensions. I nowadays see mine more as in- and outfeed support than extensions, and that's quite a difference. Others experience on the extensions? Have you checked them with a straight edge under load?
    Last edited by Ola Carmonius; 04-04-2023 at 4:28 PM.

I have the A3-41. It is a great machine. I haven't had any issues with it at all. Like Thomas, I set it on a Bora Portamate 3550 base.
    ===========

James Cheever
    Ga Tech NROTC - 1978
    Run Silent, Run Deep
    Commander, USN (Retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Michael, I've thought long and hard about separates, but space is and will be a concern for at least the next 4-5 years. And I also use 8"+ boards quite frequently and thus a J/P will add value with the wider jointer.
    Yea the combo units are a boon to workspace savings. I build fine furniture and the occasional charcuterie board and what not, so I've personally never jointed >8". Too much risk for wood movement. So 8" is more than enough as I generally like to joint my boards when they are close or at final dimensions (I often use the in/out method for my glue-ups). But for planer, yea, for sure some width is great and certainly the need for >8" there.

I got an A3-31 used, with straight knives and dial indicator. Overall I've liked it. I'd recommend either tersa or carbide over traditional straight knives. Dial indicator is very handy. I did buy the felder snorkel (elbow for the dust port), oh and get wax for the planer beds. I like the euro guard fairly well. My fence attaches at the end of the table (rather than the middle), and I had the segmented plastic guard behind the fence. Do pay attention to the fence and guard setup if your shop is space constrained.

I did see youtube by Plexus Woodworks in which he had some issue with A3-41 and was happier with the SCM FS41E.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by James Cheever View Post
    I have the A3-41. It is a great machine. I haven't had any issues with it at all. Like Thomas, I set it on a Bora Portamate 3550 base.
    I too went with the PM 3550 mobile base and I was wondering how much room did you have around the A3-41 when you had your bolt pattern finalized.

Because the front it not as wide as the back of the machine I have some play and the machine moves within the mobile base. Im using a couple pieces of plywood to bridge the sloppy gap. I guess it wont matter as much because I won’t be moving it as much but I was looking for a better solution to address this issue.

Thanks

My experience: prior to buying the FS41e a few years back, I was considering an equivalent Felder machine. In the final analysis, what made the decision easy was the pricing scheme. SCM's pricing was simple and transparent. Felder's pricing was anything but. If you enjoy used car salesman tactics, then Felder might be for you. Maybe I just got the one bad sales rep. at Felder?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Konopka View Post
    I too went with the PM 3550 mobile base and I was wondering how much room did you have around the A3-41 when you had your bolt pattern finalized.

Because the front it not as wide as the back of the machine I have some play and the machine moves within the mobile base. Im using a couple pieces of plywood to bridge the sloppy gap. I guess it wont matter as much because I won’t be moving it as much but I was looking for a better solution to address this issue.

Thanks
    There is some play in mine as well. I don't move it more than a few feet on a very flat slab so I haven't noticed it moving on the base. If you had to roll it over something I could see it moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Ola Carmonius View Post
    I'm not super impressed by the bed extensions. At least mine tilts downwards when loaded with something heavy, which is pretty much what I need them for, lighter things I often can handle without extensions. I nowadays see mine more as in- and outfeed support than extensions, and that's quite a difference. Others experience on the extensions? Have you checked them with a straight edge under load?
    I thought it comes with an extendable leg to support it?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crawford View Post
    I thought it comes with an extendable leg to support it?
    Maybe the longer aluminium ones but the short ones are supposed to only hang on the tables, no leg support. https://www.felder-group.com/en-us/s...ammer-sp675158

Thanks to all for the good info. Phil, fwiw, I have found the Hammer pricing to be straightforward so no issues there but maybe that's because its just a base model with add-ons?

Still would love to find a used unit, but that's looking less likely. And waiting to hear from my accountant on what taxes will look like this year-lol!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I got the hammer strictly because it has the European style guard. I really dislike the sliding plate, I always feel like it's exposing too much of the blades. That's just me, I really like the European style where the entire blade is under the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rutman View Post
    I got the hammer strictly because it has the European style guard. I really dislike the sliding plate, I always feel like it's exposing too much of the blades. That's just me, I really like the European style where the entire blade is under the plate.
    My Minimax came with both (the euro guard was one of the few extras). I agree that it is better than the stock pork chop, particularly on wider machines.

Based on what I have read, OSHA has not approved the euro guard style on these machines, so the pork chop guard is required for any machine going into a business shop.