Thread: New Sound System / Music Player for my Shop!

New Sound System / Music Player for my Shop!

So my player now is a boom box type AM FM panasonic radio, with a cassete player, so it's old!

You can see it on a shelf over the guys shoulder on the far wall
    1b Shop.jpg

I'd like to have a player in the same spot, and another wireless speaker 20' away, with AM FM,
    but there are so many other music options out there, what sort of setup should I get? Don't want to shake the walls and don't want heavy bass!

1 Shop.jpg
    WoodsShop

I bought a reconditioned Bose radio on ebay. When I got the radio it looked like new and works great. I added a set of rabbit ears to it for better reception.

I use the Dewalt Tough System Music, sounds great and I can charge my 12V and 20V tools.

yeah I'm a makita guy, besides I'd like that 2nd wireless spearker, doesn't have to be a stereo effect.
    WoodsShop

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Wood View Post
    Don't want to shake the walls and don't want heavy bass!
    Then don't buy these things!

speakers.jpg

These are pretty cool- totally wireless, totally waterproof, they run on batteries (went 8 hours at our son's wedding before needing to be charged), AM-FM tuner, input via bluetooth so they'll play off any smart phone, plus they'll bluetooth each other for full stereo output, USB and standard audio inputs, have suitcase handles to roll them around... As for shaking the walls, they're biased for LOUD rather than heavy bass, and as stand-alones they have no tone control. But they can be EQ'd via bluetooth from your phone or whatever. I have a Sound Blaster 5-channel theater sound card in my computer that has an equalizer, and if I want, I CAN get them to rattle the windows - The EQ can get them to sound quite good actually...

Not particularly cheap for shop music, but we only live once! And if you WANT to hear the music over all them saws & such, you can
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I had a bosch cube. It is am/fm/aux. The sound is good. I stuck it all the way up on the wall with a amazon device on it so I just tell it to turn on and play what I want. So I dont have to climb up to change anything. The added benefit is A couple smart switches and I tell her to turn on the good lights and filter

If you have wireless Internet access in your shop, consider so-called "smart speaker" systems. I use a modified version of that in my shop as I already had a decent "shelf" system with a small sub-woofer and just wanted a better, easier music source. So I used a small Echo and when I walk in the shop, I just say out loud, "Alexa, play WXPN live" and she does...and when it's time to leave, "Alexa, stop playing WXPN". Sound quality from streaming is excellent and you can access pretty much any decent radio station or other streaming source you want to.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I use an old Akai amp & Sansui speakers that I bought as a teenager that I actually had to get a bank loan for. Still sounds great some 45+ years later. An old Android phone handles the media.

Blog Entries
    My truck lets me plug in a USB thumb drive with folders containing different playlists. My hope is to find a radio with the same feature to replace my current shop set up of an iPod with an FM transmitter and an old radio. The iPod is getting to be a bit old and needs to be recharged after spending the day in the shop.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)