Thread: Taper Jig or Template routing for Tapered Mid Century Legs

Taper Jig or Template routing for Tapered Mid Century Legs

Hi all - I'm currently working on a credenza that is almost complete and am trying to figure out the best mechanism for my dad and I to make the legs/feet based on our tools and experience. The legs will be only 4.5 inches tall by 1.5 inches thick and made from hard maple. The design of the legs is pretty close to the ones here for reference https://www.etsy.com/listing/6394968...ut-mid-century

This will be our first time making legs, and anything tapered for that matter, so we could use some guidance on our options. I have a good router table setup and a template I made of a leg so that came to mind as an option. I don't have a bandsaw though so cutting the chunk of wood to the initial shape to be routed will be an issue. I've only also template routed once before so it's a bit new to me. We've also been looking at tapering jigs which seem like a good fit though I'm on a K3 slider so trying to think about the most practical way to set it up for that. Worth mentioning I don't have a F&F jig yet. Curious to get your thoughts on what would be the right approach for us. Thanks!

Those legs appear to be round. My though would be that it would have to be started on a lathe and then the flats to connect to the credenzas bottom and the stretcher added after.

Without a band saw, either rough cut my hand and route with a template or do you have a miter saw? I think the miter saw option would be quickest but use a jig or something to hold the piece as you cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Hayes View Post
    Without a band saw, either rough cut my hand and route with a template or do you have a miter saw? I think the miter saw option would be quickest but use a jig or something to hold the piece as you cut.
    I do have a miter saw, that would certainly help with time. Would just need to figure out the clamping jig like you mention.

Its really hard to hold and cut such small parts safely. Rockler has a small parts taper jig: https://www.rockler.com/rockler-small-parts-taper-jig I've made similar jigs for t-saw for one-off projects.

I'd be tempted to cut by hand and clean up on the belt sander.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I like to taper with the tablesaw and roundover with the router, which is how I did both examples below (no templates or bandsaw). I usually make a one-off fixture to hold the leg while I cut it. Splaying the legs also helps with the midmod look.

Nice work Jesse.

The jig for the miter saw could be as simple as a piece of scrap 1/4" plywood with the leg to be cut attached with two sided tape or pin nails. Enough to hold the piece to be cut and keep your hands well away.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Marusic View Post
    I'm on a K3 slider so trying to think about the most practical way to set it up for that. Worth mentioning I don't have a F&F jig yet. Curious to get your thoughts on what would be the right approach for us. Thanks!
    It is definitely time to make the Fritz and Franz jig! If not now then when? It doesn't have to be supper fancy. Just make a basic F&F jig and let it evolve with you as your woodworking skills evolve.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 10-25-2021 at 5:29 PM.

Being primarily a hand tool woodworker, and given the small size of the legs and needing to make only four, I would likely hand saw/chisel out the general shape and refine them with a spoke shave/block plane, rasps/files and sandpaper. Any small differences between the legs would never be noticed.

I'm with Phil. Some things are simply easier with hand tools - especially on smaller parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Brown View Post
    I like to taper with the tablesaw and roundover with the router, which is how I did both examples below (no templates or bandsaw). I usually make a one-off fixture to hold the leg while I cut it. Splaying the legs also helps with the midmod look.

Really nice pieces! I'd definitely be more comfortable using a tapering jig, would just need to build one for the slider.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Being primarily a hand tool woodworker, and given the small size of the legs and needing to make only four, I would likely hand saw/chisel out the general shape and refine them with a spoke shave/block plane, rasps/files and sandpaper. Any small differences between the legs would never be noticed.
    I'm afraid with my current hand tool skills I'd make a mess of it. Something I definitely need to learn.

Gabriel, I made legs as per your link …

The build details are here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...feeTable6.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 10-26-2021 at 1:47 PM.

Gabriel, you’d be surprised how well you can do. I understand the hesitancy, but once you get to sawing off the bulk, rasping a bit to the line and sanding to finish, you’ll find you did a great job. Don’t be in a hurry and enjoy the process. The first one will give you a good sense of what tools work best and how to go about it. The next three will be a piece of cake.

Originally Posted by Gabriel Marusic
    I'm on a K3 slider so trying to think about the most practical way to set it up for that. Worth mentioning I don't have a F&F jig yet. Curious to get your thoughts on what would be the right approach for us. Thanks!
    For tapers especially, rather than a F&F jig, build this parallel guide for your K3 …

Details of guide here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Powered...rK3Slider.html

Regards from Perth

Derek