Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

24 Oct 2021

Greetings,
    Spent my spare time in the shop working on various projects this week. The new day job is going well and I'm starting to learn the new culture and teams at work. So I am less "lost" now that I'm starting to learn how the new employer works and what's expected. I made 3 cutting boards this week as well as 6 small cutting boards that I call "Sandwich Boards" that people seem to really love and got all the material for my son's queen been machined and ready to start gluing up for the legs this week. I have 4 small kids stools to make as well, so I'm hoping that things go well enough this week that I can make good progress on a couple more shop projects. Played bass guitar at church this Sunday and really enjoyed playing some of the complicated choir music that we did. Sometimes I just need to be musically "stretched" to give me both a challenge and a satisfaction of being able to play a more complicated music piece. The LOML is continuing to keep her "A" grade in college and she is enjoying learning and feeling useful again.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Making 4 chamber whistles for the family's 2nd Annual 20 Sec. Holiday Musical. Finished installing reeds Saturday. Trim, cap, sand and finish scheduled for this week.
    Unknown-5.jpeg
    Unknown-8 9.48.18 PM.jpeg

'Glad things are going well, Dennis!

Another eclectic week for me...kinda the normal these days. Finished up two nightstands for our guess room (thread in Woodworking Projects discussion area), mored the remaining stuff out of the upstairs of the old shop building, sat around too much and had some good food, both at home and out.

This week I have a few small things to do in the house, such as some minor repairs on walls so I can re-paint those specific walls. I wish I could just spot touch up, but alas, sheen never matches so two walls will need to get a full coat to the corners. Fortunately, they are "small walls". I have some landscaping things to complete, but the weather may have other ideas. There is some CNC work waiting for a friend so I'll be on that this week, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dennis, glad the new job is agreeing with you so far...and it seems to have energized you in the shop too!

With a buddy's help, I pulled up the old flooring in the kitchen. I had hoped to do the three adjoining hallways too, but it took us half the day just do do the kitchen and we were whipped. My blisters had blisters. I did spend the rest of the day pulling staples and nails that were left behind. The hallways can wait, it was most important to get the kitchen done so I can lay new underlayment before installing the cabinets. On Saturday I picked up 15 sheets of 1/2 underlayment which should be enough for kitchen and all the hallways. I made good progress on the sheetrock finishing. A couple more hours and all the mudding will be done; then it's just sanding and touchup.

My cabinets arrive on Wednesday, as scheduled! I didn't really expect them to be on time, so I am happy. I won't be quite ready for them as I have to finish the sheetrock, paint, and install the underlayment, but I hope to be installing cabinets by next week. All in all, I got the timing about right. Everything else needed for the kitchen has arrived, except for our new induction range, and there's no telling when that will arrive, not even guesses. Fortunately, our old range is the same size so we'll just keep using it until the new one arrives. Oh, and the flooring isn't here yet; it scheduled for early November which will be fine.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Only thing I did was make a box to protect my granite flat plate. Built strictly utilitarian so didn’t try to make it pretty, match grain or make the finger joints even. Made from white oak the guy I bought it from said was unfit for anything except firewood or shop jigs. Bought all he’d sell me for a dollar a bf.
    204AF0CB-44C7-40A1-85A8-686B671156A8.jpg
    39B463C5-D5E1-4E05-90D1-7B9833DD2B96.jpg
    Last edited by Tom Giles; 10-25-2021 at 10:00 PM.