Thread: Chair casters

Chair casters

We have hardwood floors in our dining room and bought two chairs with casters. They came with cheap plastic ones so I bought some nice ball bearing ones that won’t scratch the floor. The problem is they roll really easily. Anyone know if there are ball bearing ones that have a slight resistance to rolling? The problem is we have an old house with an unlevel floor and the chairs want to wander around.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I prefer slides to casters. I really like the gorilla ones. They nail in with spikes instead of flying on.

Blog Entries
    Look for some that have non-marring rubber wheels.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Look for some that have non-marring rubber wheels.
    That’s what I got but with the unlevel floor they tend to wander abit on their own. Why I’m looking for some that don’t spin so easily.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I can appreciate the situation, Steve, and the evidence is currently directly under me. I put similar casters on my office chair to avoid any potential of damage to the hardwood floor...we're not carpet people here...and they do what they are intended to. But as you note...they roll really easily. I've not seen any product touting more rolling resistance and I suspect that would be perceived as a negative by most folks looking to buy because they wouldn't know at that point about how well decent casters roll.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Maybe try a couple of locking casters on each chair with the brake partially set.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute