Thread: Are There Grades Of MDF?

Are There Grades Of MDF?

So usually, when I go to HD for 1/4" MDF, I find the lite colored stuff. It works well. This time, I only saw this darker stuff and it didn't seem to work as nicely as the lighter stuff. Is the darker stuff a lower grade?

Your kidding. There was just an entire thread about this

OK..let me be more specific then...is the dark brown MDF a lower grade than the light colored MDF or are they the same, just different colors?
    Last edited by Derek Arita; 10-24-2021 at 6:04 PM.

Color is meaningless. Archives.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Your kidding. There was just an entire thread about this
    If you are going to bother replying, you might try to be helpful and include a link to the thread you are referring to.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

There is another thread started today, about three down from this one.

Derek, here's a thread discussing the topic. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?294163-Mdf
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

no room for snark at the Creek, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    If you are going to bother replying, you might try to be helpful and include a link to the thread you are referring to.

Very much agree!
    David

Didn't mean to raise such a ruckus. Yes, I read the previous thread and that's what started me wondering if I was actually getting different grades of MDF or if it was simply a color or maker difference and not a grade difference. I believe all that was mentioned previously pertaining to color was that lighter colored MDF was from here and darker was from another country. I just wondered if anyone was familiar with this particular MDF and could offer me some insight.

Blog Entries
    Hi Derek,

I'm not an MDF expert, but I do not believe there are grades like there are with lumber. I've asked this question to other people too. It is frustrating because I would like to know what Home Depot / Lowes is spec'ing out vs MacBeath / Intermountain / etc (my lumber yards). It is true that you will get better grades at lumber yards, but what grade that is... I don't know.

Maybe I'll ask MacBeath and see what they say.

Cheers,

Not sure what the grades are but I use Plum Creek because the edges rout really well because it’s pretty dense. The face is denser than others too.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

they have different properties as they are made from different percents of core material never mind manufacturers. Only ever used Rangerboard. Hardboard I used to use Duron Tempered hardboard best manufacturer till it vapourized.