Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I sick, or prudent?

Am I sick, or prudent?

I passed an estate sale driving to walk my dog. There wasn't anything I wanted, except maybe 4bf of beautiful 12/4 Honduran mahogany. I will probably never have a use for it, but it was $5. I decided that I already have too much beautiful wood I will probably never use, and let it go. During our 3 mile walk all I could think about was the mahogany. On the way home I stopped and bought it.

So, did I make a wise purchase, or do I need help?

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I passed an estate sale driving to walk my dog. There wasn't anything I wanted, except maybe 4bf of beautiful 12/4 Honduran mahogany. I will probably never have a use for it, but it was $5. I decided that I already have too much beautiful wood I will probably never use, and let it go. During our 3 mile walk all I could think about was the mahogany. On the way home I stopped and bought it.

So, did I make a wise purchase, or do I need help?
    Want, or need. It's hard to pass up a bargin. That's one of the reasons, I don't do flea markets. I can go, looking for nothing in particular, and before returning home see something that I can't live without.

My father always said nothing is a bargain if you don't need it. He and my mother never threw anything away either. So my brother and I had to have it all hauled away. The bright side is you can probably sell your bargain for a lot more if you decide you have no use for it.

Yes, I do believe you made a wise choice. You bought it on the way back instead of beforehand. You would have had to tote it on your 3 mile walk.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Prudent or sick? Why choose? I’ve been both for decades, but some say more of the latter!

Blog Entries
    If you didn't ask if they would take $3 for it, you weren't very prudent.

Depending on the other dimensions it might be great for making new handles for a set of chisels.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The 12/4 is harder, and denser than 4/4 . Even years ago some of the 4/4 was just “cigar box” stuff. You did well.

Come on - how could you not!!

I'd have bought it, too!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I would have bought it, too...and if you really don't feel a need to keep it, you can resell that at market rate for a whole bunch more than you paid for it! Nope, you're not sick!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wise. If cash becomes tough you can always get your $5 back on it

I would have bought it, too... and give some of it to turning friends

Good call.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

That's one of the reasons, I don't do flea markets. I can go, looking for nothing in particular, and before returning home see something that I can't live without.
    & then I'd have come home with whatever it was I bought & promptly put it somewhere I'd never guess it to be in a million years....&then when I needed it - - I'd have to go out and buy it & pay retail for it........only to uncover it a few months later from where I'd put it. .

On topic - I still have all the red oak & hickory I bought a few years ago for $20. I got up one Sunday morning early and looked at Craig's List and saw it there. I messaged the seller and they told me come and get it.
    I tried to give them $50 for it but - they just wanted it gone & were happy with the $20.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I always think, "My wife will have a great estate sale." A solid IRA