Thread: Problems with Boss LS1630 laser head hitting the top of the BossMod Rotary chuck

Problems with Boss LS1630 laser head hitting the top of the BossMod Rotary chuck

Anyone have ideas on how to get a bigger size image on smaller cups when using the BossMod Rotary or if there are any attachments that would help solve this issue? I've had trouble getting bigger images onto tumblers because the laser head wants to hit the jaws sticking above the chuck head on the rotary. I've been limited to smaller images because there is not enough room for the laser to slow down after the image before it hits the jaws occasionally. I'm looking for any ideas to extend the distance between the top of the cup and the rotary chuck by like an inch. I've been limited to images about 2.5" high on an area that has 4" of engraving space and I'm not as happy with the results and would like to fill in the space a little more. I thought I came across someone on here making rubber cone attachments for chuck style rotaries that may help but I have not been able to find the post I read that in. Just looking for a possible solution before spending more money on a different rotary.

The easiest way to extend your vertical distance is to extend your focal length-- chances are you're using a 2" focus lens, moving to a 2-1/2" lens gains 1/2" more vertical distance immediately. Remember, as focal length increases, laser power density decreases so you'll have to compensate for the power loss by increasing power and/or decreasing speed somewhat. I've found a 2-1/2" lens on my Triumph doesn't lose much power over a 2" lens, however, a 3" lens loses noticeable power.

Aside from changing lenses you're looking at 'homemade' accessories to your rotary...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    The easiest way to extend your vertical distance is to extend your focal length-- chances are you're using a 2" focus lens, moving to a 2-1/2" lens gains 1/2" more vertical distance immediately. Remember, as focal length increases, laser power density decreases so you'll have to compensate for the power loss by increasing power and/or decreasing speed somewhat. I've found a 2-1/2" lens on my Triumph doesn't lose much power over a 2" lens, however, a 3" lens loses noticeable power.

Aside from changing lenses you're looking at 'homemade' accessories to your rotary...

Thank you for the info, I will have to try this. Would definitely be cheaper than buying a new rotary. Which I may end up doing at some point, but would like to avoid it for now if possible. Do you recommend any certain place to buy one from? Unfortunately Boss laser only sells them in 3" and 4" but not 2 /12".

Cloudray laser on eBay is where I get mine-

You need to know your lens diameter, common is 20mm but measure!

once you know for sure, put the line below in the search bar, change the 20mm to what your lens is actually if needed:

C02 laser lens meniscus ZnSe 20mm 2.5" 63.5mm

Cloudray's ads should come up. They ship from China, but usually within a week. If you need sooner, there are some US sellers, but usually cost more...

Search terms: "Meniscus" is the shape of the grind- Cloudray explains this in their ads- Optional is "plano convex"... meniscus is supposed to be better, I've used both and really haven't noticed--

ZnSe is the type of glass, seems to be most common...

FYI, these lenses are cheap, in every sense - They work fine, just not the most durable against scratches and such...

========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle