Thread: I said goodbye to my 6 1/8" Jointer this week

I said goodbye to my 6 1/8" Jointer this week

I went out to the shop last week and took a rough cut piece of cherry with a split and decided to make two boards out of it. I got the No.7 jointer, LA jack, marking gauges, winding sticks and a rip saw out and went to it. I created perfect perfect boards S4S. This caused me to look at the room my Craftsman jointer took up and decided to let it go. Going to see how I can utilize the new found space today. Another step further into the hand tool world.

Blog Entries
    Good for you Scott.

It is always nice to have a little space before everything starts to fill the new void.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I think a jointer is the stationary power tool is most easily replaced with hand tools. With a decent workbench and relatively small number of hand planes you can perform all the same tasks relatively easily . Good for you for making the change!

Until I converted a #4 into a scrub plane it was difficult to hand plane well. It was transformative and now I never dream of having a jointer.

I got rid of my joiner and planer a few years ago while we were downsizing. Occasionally I'll think about it and look at the Grizzly website and wonder, but the cost, noise, and dust are too much anymore.