Thread: Maka SM6 information

Maka SM6 information

I recently picked up a 1965 Maka SM6 mortiser (the manual non pneumatic version) in a local auction at a good price. From my initial quick inspection I would say that the unit is "complete" and in "fair" condition, but clearly need some TLC if not a full rework. Luckily the unit came with 10 chisels so that alone is worth the price I paid ;-)

Naturally I have seen Brian Holcombe's amazing restoration of one and can only dream of doing something similar. That said I am definetly going to go through the machine, replace bearings and other obvious wear items to make sure the unit is serviceable. I'll try and document the process as much as possible once I get into it. However for now it will have to wait it's turn as it will be at least 3 months before I have time to properly tinker with it.

Meanwhile I was hoping that someone could point me in the direction of a manual and/or parts-list. Tips on what to look out for once I start the renovation is also appreciated.

Michael, congrats and welcome too. Brian is a true master to anything he touches. Mark Hennebury (sp?) is also very knowledgeable about most machinery and recently did a Maia 6 restoration.
    color me envious. I would love to get a Maka 6.
    Again, welcome and good luck. Patrick

Michael,
    It would be OK to wait on bearing replacement until you know that the bearings are bad.
    Keeping a machine intact with its original parts and paint looks good and works. It won't look like shiny bright Festool right out of the box, but it will look authentic.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, gents but it is certainly the other way around. Mark has the experience with these machines and it was only with his guidance that I was capable of restoring the machine.

Peter, I would replace the bearings and seals if nothing else.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Hey Michael,

I purchased a Maka M-6 in pretty nice condition about 6 months ago. It was in pretty good shape so nothing major needed replacement. Happy to help if I can. Mark is the Maka OG though.

Does yours have an oil filled head?

Post some pictures!

I do not know the full history of the unit but from examining it I would speculate that the history is somewhat as follows:

1. Innitially bourght by a furniture shop or similar and used for many years.
    2. At some point they switched or other machinery/processes and decided to sell the unit - so they told the junior guy to paint it (I have found masking tape remains and machine surfaces partly painted).
    3. A guy bourght the unit and placed it in his woodshop but never really got around to using it.
    4. Eventually I picked it up at the estate sale ;-)

tldr: The paint job is "fresh" but not "new".

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    Does yours have an oil filled head?
    I suspect/believe it does as the exterior of the head initially was covered in oil (I have since wiped most of it). But I will find out the inner workings once I get around to tinkering with it. As mentioned at this point I am mainly looking for information.
    Maybe they overfilled it with oil and it splashed all over the head (?).

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    Post some pictures!
    Ok then:
    Maka1_1.jpg

Maka2_2.jpg

Maka3_3.jpg

I mentioned that the unit was "complete", however it dawned on me that it seems to be missing the stop/length adjuster - maybe I'll attempt to create one similar to the one Brian made at some point in the future - Brian do you have drawings for the one you made ?

As several of you have mentioned Mark is the expert on these units, and very good to know that people with his level of experience are around and being helpful with sharing the knowledge.

Again just to itterate at this point I am mainly collecting information - if anyone have a manual or parts-list to share (or can point to one) then that would be amazing

Blog Entries
    I don’t have any drawings on that, but it should be pretty easy to replicate from photos.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Hi, You have a Maka with an oil-head.

Email me, mark@solidwoodmachinery.com

Michael,

Here's the unit I bought along with the depth stop. Not sure if your unit has the same configuration.

It was slowly leaking oil out of the head, but after some advice from SMC, I replaced the light weight oil (bar chain oil I think) with this stuff:

Cotton Picker Grease

Took care of the leak but still flows inside the head nicely. I was unable to find an equivalent of the officially spec grease in anything less than a 5 gal bucket.

Maka 2.jpg

Maka 1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images