Thread: Router table setup question

Router table setup question

I have a Grizzly tablesaw with a cast iron router extension. My Bosch plunge router wont extend the bit enough to make a proper cut. Tech at Grizzly (they're super helpful and I love the saw) said most any router will work, except the plunge style.....of course.

I saw several types of router collet "extensions". Has anybody tried these and would you recommend them? Beats buying another router, but I read some reviews saying they've had some dangerous stability issues from concentricity. Thoughts? Thanks all!

I have CMT's extension that I use solely with a bowl router bit; have had no issues with it. Not sure if I would want to use it full time for all routing requirements.

Id buy another router. I dont think plunge routers lock as well and the non plunge ones at least with my Porter Cables.

I have a Dewalt router that I picked up for cheap since it was a display model at one of the big box stores. It was missing the collet so I bought one of those quick change collets that uses a hex wrench to change the bit and holds the bit a little further away from the motor. The router was miserable due to the bit being so far away from the lower bearing and the runout of the quick change collet. I bought a regular Dewalt collet to replace the quick change and all is fine now.

I would highly recommend AGAINST using any kind of extension on the router that moves the bit further away from the motor. Even if such a device works it will put more strain on the lower bearing than it was designed for. Like suggested above buy another router for table use. I see good prices for worthy routers on Craigslist very often. Mounting a router to the table then unmounting it for handheld use is kind of a pain in the rear itself.

Extensions risk runout, sometimes major runout. Use a heavy router motor and a lift or a heavy fixed base router with just twist to adjust and make sure you have access for your hand to make the adjustments.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Good points to consider. The $20 price tag for an extension is tempting but yeah, runnout is always there, to some degree. I guess I'll consider another router. Thanks all!

Is the Bosch motor a 1617? If so, the fixed base will likely be a better fit in a table. Fixed base is tapped to use the PC 690 mounting pattern, and could be adjusted from above the table— might require drilling an access hole for that though.
    earl