Thread: Folding outfeed table and adjustable legs for my new Sawstop

Folding outfeed table and adjustable legs for my new Sawstop

Hello All,
    I recently pulled the trigger and got myself a Sawstop Professional saw to replace my 20 year old Jet Super Saw. I’m retiring this year and will be spending more time in the shop, so even though I’m very safety conscious, I wanted the extra layer of protection provided by the Sawstop technology. My first projects have been to customize my saw to fit my needs, particularly since I work out of my garage with a very uneven floor and need to put my saw away each night to make room for the cars.

First was a new crosscut sled. Since there are so many posted here, I won’t bore you with the details except for the method to make the fence completely square. I used the 3 cut technique by Tom McLaughlin, and really like the simplicity compared to the 5 cut method. And most important, it’s dead on accurate. Here’s a link to his video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2l5DFlCRGKo

The next project was an outfeed table. I wanted something very quick and easy to set up, light, but sturdy. I ran across a Youtube video by Colin Knecht and liked his overall concept, so I came up with a design to fit my saw. I made a rectangular frame the same thickness as the width of my saw’s rail, leaving clearance for the door in the back. I really didn’t want to start drilling holes into my new saw, so my design allowed the frame to be fastened to the rail with screws using the existing holes. Next I attached a set of heavy duty shelf brackets from Lee Valley which lock at 90 degrees, and finally attached a sheet of 3/4” black melamine with rounded corners and edge banding applied. It sets up and folds down in seconds.

The Sawstop comes with legs that have a small amount of adjustment, but my floor is so uneven I couldn’t even leave them installed and still roll my saw into position for use. I’ve been using the saw without the legs, but I’m going to install a router lift into the wing and wanted more support. So I built shorter legs with an outer frame from poplar, leaving a center opening slightly larger than the metal legs so they could easily slide inside (after I shortened them). I installed a threaded insert and star knob to tighten the leg in the “up” position when rolling, and then dropping the leg down to floor level instantly once the saw is in position. It works great, very quick and solid.

I hope that some might find this information useful.

Tim, thanks for posting. Nice design on the outfeed. Can you provide a part number or link to the folding brackets you used? I'm not finding them on Lee Valley's site.

Thanks!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Thanks Brian. Here’s a link to the brackets I used: https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...s?item=12K9502

I ordered the 16” brackets. These have worked well, but I’m not 100% convinced they were the best ones available. I went under the assumption that anything from Lee Valley would be better than some random company on Amazon. They didn’t sit completely square to the table when I initially installed them, which affects how smoothly the table folds down, so I added my go-to shims to square them up; slivers of playing cards. It took some fine tuning, but it works great now, and they are nice and sturdy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Andrews View Post
    Thanks Brian. Here’s a link to the brackets I used: https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...s?item=12K9502

I ordered the 16” brackets. These have worked well, but I’m not 100% convinced they were the best ones available. I went under the assumption that anything from Lee Valley would be better than some random company on Amazon. They didn’t sit completely square to the table when I initially installed them, which affects how smoothly the table folds down, so I added my go-to shims to square them up; slivers of playing cards. It took some fine tuning, but it works great now, and they are nice and sturdy.
    Thanks Tim!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher