Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now that's a hand saw

Blog Entries

Now that's a hand saw

While looking for places to see on a recent trip to Northern California to see the redwoods, I ran across this photo.
    lumberjack-vintage-photos-from-past-20.jpg
    That crosscut saw has to be every bit of 20 feet long. I'd have to get a larger shop to hang it on the wall.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Since I don't see any handles Lee you might be underestimating.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

why don't those guys have bulging muscles??
    WoodsShop

After the horizontal cut was made, the notch was chipped out with axes. You can see the ax marks on the tree and the chunks on the ground. Whew.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Wood View Post
    why don't those guys have bulging muscles??
    If you're seriously asking, I would direct you to google something like "anabolism vs catabolism" for an answer.

The short version is that the muscles are constantly being worked (broken down). This is the catabolic phase.

Muscle building (bulk) requires an anabolic phase, during which they're rebuilt.

The anabolic phase is basically non-existent for these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bailey View Post
    If you're seriously asking, I would direct you to google something like "anabolism vs catabolism" for an answer.

The short version is that the muscles are constantly being worked (broken down). This is the catabolic phase.

Muscle building (bulk) requires an anabolic phase, during which they're rebuilt.

The anabolic phase is basically non-existent for these guys.
    i would assume both of these men were in excellent physical shape & lean sawing machines. As Neanders realize sawing is more highly repetitive and endurance based as opposed to high force. This activity is similar to distance biking or running. Their muscles are healthy & well developed, but not bulky. Heavy power lifting develops bulk. A power lifter would peter out after 10 minutes on that tree.

Yeah, I never see a runner with big legs.

getting the tree down was the least of their problems, Just think of all the work to get it into usable lengths of lumber.
    Tom

Blog Entries
    Those guys are studs and ambitious at that! Strikes me a little like two mice trying to eat an elephant.

For a vivid description of what it was like being on one end of that saw check out Logging and pimping and "Your pal, Jim" in A River Runs Through it ​by Norman Maclean.

There might be a family resemblance between those two.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    For a vivid description of what it was like being on one end of that saw check out Logging and pimping and "Your pal, Jim" in A River Runs Through it ​by Norman Maclean.
    Thanks for the book reference. I just ordered a copy after reading some reviews.

JKJ, book junkie

(Lee, you reminded me I have a (shorter) saw like that under a shed. rescued 10 years ago from an old barn coming down. I should get it out and hang it up, or give it to someone who would appreciate it more than I obviously do. )

Amazing picture. That must have been a tough living. And the tree is at least as remarkable as the saw.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Clausen View Post
    Yeah, I never see a runner with big legs.
    The Lilliputians reported seeing one …but I’m not that Gulliverble

Taking another look at the photo... how did they manage to chop out that tall notch? Are there mortises for springboards that I don't see? Seems like a long reach with an ax even if they were standing on the bottom cut.