Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Now that's a hand saw

I wonder if they made 2 or 3 horizontal cuts and worked their way down. Some of those chunks on the ground are huge and seem to have flat ends.

Blog Entries

Incredible!

The video half-way down the article is well worth watching: redwood felling, hauling, sawing.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Incredible!

The video half-way down the article is well worth watching: redwood felling, hauling, sawing.
    Yes, that was great. Thanks for posting that, Mike. It reminds me of when I was living in Oregon and first saw logging trucks on I-5 carrying only two or three Doug Fir logs- amazing to a young man used to the second-growth forests of Maine.

For tales of the same era of transition between hand and mechanized logging in the Northwest check out Never Chop Your Rope by Joe Garner. Stories of logging during the river drive days in northern New England can be found in Robert E. Pike's Spiked Boots and Tall Trees, Tough Men. The modern era of logging huge trees can be seen in Big Timber on Netflix. And of course there's the classic Sometimes a Great Notion​ by Ken Kesey.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    For tales of the same era of transition between hand and mechanized logging in the Northwest check out Never Chop Your Rope by Joe Garner. Stories of logging during the river drive days in northern New England can be found in Robert E. Pike's Spiked Boots and Tall Trees, Tough Men. The modern era of logging huge trees can be seen in Big Timber on Netflix. And of course there's the classic Sometimes a Great Notion​ by Ken Kesey.
    Oh boy, more books to buy!

Another question...how many board-feet of lumber do you think came from that single tree?

It's sad to see those old, giant trees cut down.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.