Thread: old Japanese J/P combo

old Japanese J/P combo

Hi guys,

First post here and hoping for some help in evaluating a Japanese J/P machine on the local craigslist. It's an old Tokiwa VS-30K:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls...396403780.html

3 motor, 3ph, 18" planer/12" jointer; about ~1800lbs. Built in the 1980's per the seller. Very few imported. Parts and support probably non-existent as the company is defunct or was acquired by somebody else. Very little info online on these machines.

I'm looking to upgrade my jointer/planer setup, was contemplating ordering a Hammer A3-41; probably a 6-9month lead time however. I haven't looked at the machine yet, the seller did say that he'd like to get $5k for it. This seems optimistic. Came across a Japanese auction/sales site where similar vintage machines were in the $2-3K range. I thought about offering ~$3k for it. It's been listed on craigslist for a month or so.

What input/suggestions can you guys give me? Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Awesome! That is a tank, and will stay in adjustment even if you run beams through it.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

A lot of stuff for sale comes with a poor ad. that guy has taken many clear photos and put some specs down as well so from a presenting a machine point of view I give him credit. Looks like a serious machine. I didnt look are the jointer and the planer both on the same shaft like my SCM combo stuff. If so you wont ever change out for Tersa or spirals.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Looks like a serious machine. I didnt look are the jointer and the planer both on the same shaft like my SCM combo stuff. If so you wont ever change out for Tersa or spirals.
    Warren, I'm not quite following. The jointer and planer have separate cutterheads on different shafts; 3 motor configuration. Should be able to swap for spirals in either one I'd think.

There are production concerns when choosing knife style that I don't fully have a grasp on. Could you clarify your comment for me?

That is super cool! Never see that one before.

I’m not going to speak about the value as that’s a bit like beauty, but it looks like a very well built machine that will probably outlive us all, assuming nothing is broken or missing.

Reminds me a bit of my late 70s - early 80s era SCM machines in fit and finish.
    Still waters run deep.

That thing is a beast!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Rick

I said I didnt look well I looked at the machine but that came to mind after. Yes its seperate looking now. Im still on high speed steel and its fine for me and many others and the old guys in the trade. those look like very thick knives in that machines which is excellent. The thicker the knives in any of my machines the better going back to the General 14" I started which had the smallest thinnest knives. That machine looks another level over SCM stuff I have.

Amazing machine. I thought of one of the Makita side by sides with a 12'' planer and 6'' jointer when I read your post title. That machine is probably worth $5000 dollars.

I live in the Bay Area and saw the ad but it’s too big and rich for my use. The quality of Japanese woodworking machines is legendary, so why would you want to replace the head with spiral cutters?

nick im old school so high speed steel. ILl look at Tersa at some point when it makes sense on what machine. I wasnt suggesting a swap out its just I read that most of the time. High speed steel never stopped me from making
    a living or any of the old guys I knew.

I don’t have any problem with HSS per se. That said I went to the Byrd head in my little dewalt 735 due to the blades chipping so easily.

I read about noise reduction, longevity, and quality of cut with the spirals however HSS is tried and true for many.

I’ll make the guy an offer tomorrow; think it’ll make a great machine for my little shop despite lack of support/parts.

HSS in a Dewalt planer compared to HSS in an industrial machine like this or others of similar quality are 2 different planets. I wouldn’t base your opinion on it from the stock or even aftermarket Dewalt disposable blades.

Nothing‘s sharper and give a potentially better quality cut than HSS.
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    HSS in a Dewalt planer compared to HSS in an industrial machine like this or others of similar quality are 2 different planets. I wouldn’t base your opinion on it from the stock or even aftermarket Dewalt disposable blades.

Nothing‘s sharper and give a potentially better quality cut than HSS.
    What Phillip said. 18% tungsten or T1 are what you want.

Interesting; that is good to know.

I’m just a hobby guy looking to develop my skills and knowledge. Got many people who ask for stuff; maybe this machine can help me get a nice side gig going.