Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commercial Dehumidifier

Commercial Dehumidifier

I have a 1800BTU mini-split which controls the temp and has a built in dehumidifier. I can only set it to dehumidify and the strength to operate. It does not have a hygrometer. I would like to supplement the temperature with a dehumidifier. I know many are using box store units, however I would rather spend more money for a higher end unit that will last a bit longer. I think it's likely to cost the same money in the long run. (Multiple box store units vs one higher end unit)

I saw a few threads about this in the past, but none really talking about specific products or commercial dehumidifiers.

Is anyone using a commercial or semi-commercial/whole house dehumidifier to keep their shop/studio dry and if so, which model and what experience have you had?

I've been looking at:

AlorAir® Storm LGR Extreme Commercial Restoration Dehumidifier with pump, wifi, and is for garages among other things.

and a semi-commercial unit

AloAir Sentinel HDi65 which seems basically comparable to the Storm LGR Extreme.

The HDi65 seems to be for permanent house installation, i.e. semi-portable, and the Storm LGR seems to be for portable commercial usage. HDi65 setup for duct installation, and you can buy a remote hygrometer for another $100.

Those are both interesting units, Derek...you actually posted at a good time as I'm considering a solution for our basement here at the new house.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I used an Ebac AD850E dehumidifier in my basement shop for many years. Worked perfectly and maintained below 50% humidity at all times. The nice thing about the Ebac dehumidifiers is that they are designed to work without icing up even in colder temperatures.

I had a water leak in my crawl space and bought one that would fit there. An important feature was having a builtin pump. Spent about a grand.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Rush Paul View Post
    I used an Ebac AD850E dehumidifier in my basement shop for many years. Worked perfectly and maintained below 50% humidity at all times. The nice thing about the Ebac dehumidifiers is that they are designed to work without icing up even in colder temperatures.

It looks pretty nice, but $2500 is a big spend. For me, I was hoping to be under $1k. I wonder how much the quality goes up after you get past consumer units?

I use the xpower XS-85L2. It looks similar to this but has double the water elimination capability. Works mostly in the summer and after rainstorms. But it’s remarkably effective.

One thing to note - many humidifiers generate some heat. So you will want the ability to cool if running lots of dehumidification

Maybe I was planning to under-spend a bit. AlorAir has a newer model with a SLGR design and a few other new features. It will do 85PPD ATAHAM at 5.6A and rated for continuous operation.

https://www.alorair.com/pdf_files/pr...eme_Yellow.pdf

I was testing the smart mode on my mini-split and it works pretty well between cooling and de-humidifying automatically, but its keeping the temp a bit lower than my wife likes, 69 degrees which is a 10+ degree differential. I think adding this will allow the mini-split to focus on temperature only. Maybe both units will last longer.
    Last edited by derek labian; 10-23-2021 at 7:50 PM.

Derek,

I bought an AlorAir Sentinel HD55 last summer for my walkout basement shop to replace a 7 year old failing Lowe’s unit. I’m extremely happy with the 55. Looking at current prices I see that it has come down in price a bit since when I bought it last summer. I think I paid around $850 then, but that was peak pandemic time.

My basement is essentially an uninsulated and otherwise totally unconditioned space with concrete slab and poured concrete and block walls and is around 600 sq ft. The 55 has no problems keeping this less than ideal space between 45-50% RH even in the warmest and wettest days of summer, though of course it’s working to do so. I typically keep it set around 47-48% in summer. If I didn’t dehumidify it would be in the 75% RH or higher range and really get moldy and be a health issue for the space and the house above. The basement is the driest part of the house (when the AC isn’t on in the house.)

The best thing about it aside from the performance (and long warranty) is that it uses about 1/2 the amps of the typically 70 pint big box store units. I think my 55 is rated at something like 3.5 amps or less so I really notice that difference in my monthly utility bill in summer. I built a shelf for it and it sits up high in the wall and gravity drains straight into a grey water drain that was already in my basement for a few other things.

I clean the filter daily on mine when using sawdust making machines. Really easy to slide it out and blow it out with a blow gun or wash it if needed.

Highly recommend these units. I can only imagine the bigger and pricier ones being just as good or better...though I do appreciate the relative simplicity of my 55.
    Still waters run deep.

We have a SantaFe crawl space dehumidifier for our home. It replaced the last "cheapo" consumer one 6 years ago and has be flawless. I can't comment on using it in a shop, but you'll need to keep the filters clean for it to operate well.

I ordered some crawl space liner online, and they also had a number of interesting dehumidifiers. I didn't look at them long enough to have an opinion, but it's probably worth a little time Googling "crawl space liner", as a first lead in.

I did some quick calculations on the energy usage of the AlorAir Sentinel HD55. At my electric rates, running it 24/7 would cost about $40/month. That Storm LGR Extreme would cost $62.51/month. Seems pretty costly. My mini-split with 2 air handlers only runs me $24/month at the height of summer heat. Of course that cost far more than the dehumidifier, but it does a wonderful job cooling the space.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Derek,

I bought an AlorAir Sentinel HD55 last summer for my walkout basement shop to replace a 7 year old failing Lowe’s unit. I’m extremely happy with the 55. Looking at current prices I see that it has come down in price a bit since when I bought it last summer. I think I paid around $850 then, but that was peak pandemic time.
    Thanks for all the information. Did you end up buying the remote hygrometer or have any issues with the built in unit? Are you running it while woodworking? I was going to place my dehumidifier in front of a AFS-1000B's output to hopefully provide it clean-ish air. Sam for my mini-split.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I did some quick calculations on the energy usage of the AlorAir Sentinel HD55. At my electric rates, running it 24/7 would cost about $40/month. That Storm LGR Extreme would cost $62.51/month. Seems pretty costly. My mini-split with 2 air handlers only runs me $24/month at the height of summer heat. Of course that cost far more than the dehumidifier, but it does a wonderful job cooling the space.
    Hi Alan,

Thats why I purchased the mini-split I did, as it has separate modes for heating, cooling, and de-humidifying, along with a smart mode that alternates. But it's a garage, and in smart mode, it keeps the garage around 70 degrees and 55% RH. I don't even keep my house at 70 degrees. I'll have to hook up a meter to it and calculate the cost, but I'm sure its going to be more than $24 a month. Thats why adding a separate de-humidifier will allow the mini-split to maintain the temperature, and the dehumidifier just to maintain the humidity. I don't expect the de-humidifier to run continuously or near continuously. I guess I'll find out though.

Good idea to check actual cost though of the mini-split.

I can tell you that the mini split in my old shop barely moved the electric meter, although I didn't baseline it. It's a 20 SEER unit. I ran it at 74ºF summer and 65ºF winter.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I can tell you that the mini split in my old shop barely moved the electric meter, although I didn't baseline it. It's a 20 SEER unit. I ran it at 74ºF summer and 65ºF winter.
    What is your RH like in the summer? It's often 100% in southern Texas. The real question I guess isn't how much it draws, its how often it runs. I figure that will be hard to test without something that can track over time.

Did you have a dehumidifier in your old shop, or just the mini-split? My mini-split is 23-seer, but I'm still not sure how thats going to translate into overall power consumption.

If my mini-split runs 24/7 it will be $97 a month. Half the month, $48. Seems pretty reasonable, but I wonder how wear and tear on the unit would be. Jim, how long were you using your MS for?

I guess the $24 dollar a month at the height of summer wasn't unrealistic. Its a 550sqft space, insulated doors, and that would be 6 hours per day of operation. It can cool the space in about 15 min.

The dehumidifier looks like it would cost $2 dollars per day if running 24/7. So running 4 hours a day, it can turn over all the air in the garage 8 times per day at a cost of $10 a month.
    Last edited by derek labian; 10-24-2021 at 2:30 PM.