Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knotty Pine and Deep Tear Out

Hi Tom,

I have used handplanes for 50 years and Supersurfacers for maybe 30 years. Supersurfacers are basically big handplanes with a power feeder, they have a chipbreaker and an adjustable mouth-plate, and you can change the shear angle on them.
    The mechanics of how they work is the same as handplanes.

While they are not perfect and are a bit fussy,
    They work well.
    They work well in hardwoods and softwoods.
    They work well in difficult hardwoods such as Birdseye Maple and Curly Maple.
    The instructions for setting them up are quite detailed and specific.

supers12.jpgsupers13.jpgsupers14.jpgsupers15.jpg

They have a special micrometer jig for precise setting of the chipbreaker from the knife -edge.

micro_setting_gauge2.jpg

The results are quite impressive. Shaving thickness can be adjusted and In the second photo below i was playing around to see how fine of a shaving I could take. The third photo is Birdseye and curly maple, and some baked maple samples done on a supersurfacer.

SAM_1812.jpg supers1.jpg IMG_4021.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trees View Post
    Hello Luke
    Seems you've either been living in a cave, or have been misled regarding setting up your plane.
    For this kind of work, or infact any tropcal you name it, curly/flame/interlocked/dense, and so on...

The key is to have two planes for the job, something which can hog off a wee bit of material, and another smoother.
    Hone you're cap iron's at 50 or a wee bit more, and learn how effective a well set cap iron works for both those planes.

If you try other things like moving the frog forward to make a tight mouth, you will fail to get the close set cap iron actually set for the wood, as a tight mouth will stop it from working.
    All that will happen ,(as with everyone who's been misled) is...
    you think you're setting the cap close enough, when infact it will still be too far away, make it closer and the plane will judder about and refuse to take a shaving.

So basically no tight mouths, (the Kato and Kawai video proves you don't need downbearing from ANY mouth for the close set cap iron to work)
    Hone a steep cap iron angle like 50 degrees, set it at the very most 1/32" away from the edge for your main plane.
    (This might mean you have too much camber, and need reduce it for to get the cap close enough.)

You're smoother should have a cap iron twice as close as the other for half the distance, or even closer if need be, the iron profile/camber should be nearly imperceivable
    on the smoother, so there is room to mess about setting the cap iron closer to match the timber, without needing to do any work re-profiling the imperceivable camber.

Providing you are good with knowing how to dimension timber accurately, (as in you've watched Mr Charlesworth)
    Then you can follow the advice on folks who do actually use the cap iron.
    This is evident even for a newcomer, as the straightened shavings, not curls, is what you should be looking at.

If you want to make this easy for yourself... then regarding the setting of your planes "specifically regarding the setup"
    don't follow advice from folks who don't produce the goods, or is trying to sell you something.

Straight shavings is what a newcomer will see straight away, that's both for a heavy cut and a light one!

Have a look at, Warren Mickley, David Weaver, Derek Cohen's posts for starters,
    You have no "privilege" to see photos like myself, so I can show you where to look as you cannot see.

Derek's are hosted on another fancy site, so you can see his posts
    (David W) is on youtube, has done so much on making this widely known, (thank's to Warren's efforts)

Some other folks which you will see "the influence of the cap iron" ...(as in actually being used)
    are ... (have to look through my subscriptions)
    Brian Holcombe, Hernan Costa, Franks workbench, Dusty splinters, Matt Kenny, and straight shavings you will find
    You could say Rob Cosman, and the English woodworker too, but they're not being as clear about this as they should be, for different financial reasons.
    Sell you tools, or sell you videos.
    Rob Still won't make his steeper, but he's got like 10 kids so will give him a pass,
    I wouldn't want to use anyone's methods if they wern't 100% reliable, so I suggest go elsewhere (regarding the use of the cap)

Shouldn't be much more to it, if you've watched Charlesworth's methodology already (nothing to do with setting the plane up)
    Make sure that you don't have you're bevel heel rubbing on the work, as you want the sharp bit in the timber.

Get some candle wax to ease things a bit.
    That should be enough for you, David W has just about the most content about this, have a look at his woodcentral article "setting a cap iron"
    if you want confirmation on this.
    Have fun, and laugh at the thought of all the rest of the gurus trying to mislead people.
    It's rife on youtube, so don't be fooled.
    Good luck

Tom

Interesting. I haven't had the chance to plane all of the really knotty boards, but I did play around with the position of the chip breaker on the Kanna that I've been using.
    I found some setting inbetween "straight shavings" as you described, and "accordian shavings"... sometimes I get the former, sometimes the latter.

I got no tearout on the board I was test planing, but there are plenty of far worse pieces that I'm yet to try.

I do have to wonder how people dealt with such wood before cap irons though...

in addition to a finely-set cap iron, thin shavings and planing from different angles, I have had luck getting very smooth results in and around resinous pine knots by painting on some turpentine or mineral spirits. It helps soften the resins in the knot itself, at least in the very surface- if you plane a few strokes you may have to repaint the knot (end grain part). The surrounding swirling grain can benefit from the same treatment, but in my experience, the sharpness, fine set cap, and finding the angle it wants to be planed at are more important. But it is a workbench, so anything smaller than the future hammer dings can be ignored....
    Karl

+1^

Also, pay attention to the grain around the knot.....with the BIG ONES..I usually circle around them, going across the swirls. Rarely do I just charge head-on across them.

READ the grain around the knot....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Andersson View Post
    in addition to a finely-set cap iron, thin shavings and planing from different angles, I have had luck getting very smooth results in and around resinous pine knots by painting on some turpentine or mineral spirits. It helps soften the resins in the knot itself, at least in the very surface- if you plane a few strokes you may have to repaint the knot (end grain part). The surrounding swirling grain can benefit from the same treatment, but in my experience, the sharpness, fine set cap, and finding the angle it wants to be planed at are more important. But it is a workbench, so anything smaller than the future hammer dings can be ignored....
    Karl
    +1 to Karl's suggestion. Regarding the OP's initial question – big knots in pine, the only practical solutions that have worked for me are painting on some mineral spirits and then sandpaper. Yes the right plane set up and techniques can really help in most species of wood with knots, but when it comes to pine, my experience is not so much. Ergo mineral spirits and sandpaper.

As I've gotten older and less physically strong as a hand tool woodworker, my overriding prime directive is "use hand tool friendly woods". Yes I've made some smaller pieces/tools out of hard tropical woods, but now I wouldn't tackle building anything bigger than a bread box out of the tough stuff. I guess it can be done, it's just not very fun for me. YMMV.

Cheers, Mike

Back to the OP, using lumber yard pine with really hard knots, how can this be smoothed for nice furniture?

Yes with great skill a plane can do the job for some of us but I'm with those who struggle. I have seen many videos showing planing perfect stock but ones showing success on horrible stock are harder to find.