Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lee Valley Annual “Seconds” sale announced

Lee Valley Annual “Seconds” sale announced

Well, the fickle finger of fate has struck. ( I’m old enough to remember the Smother Brothers)
    The sale starts at noon eastern time on Wednesday.
    Waiting room holding area until you’re admitted to the sale room.
    I wonder how it’s going to work?
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Blog Entries
    Very fast.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The answer, we hope, is "well"....

Advantages - there is no need get up early, or try to be "first". Previous years, we had volume issues that were not representative of the number of people trying to access the site. For example- hitting "refresh" kept spooling new jobs that overwhelmed the interface with our main system. We are scaled to accommodate large numbers of concurrent users. We also anticipate that it will smooth out the checkout process - by removing the "derby" element to the process. We will scale the concurrent number of visitors in real time, as we watch system performance. Those in the waiting room will have a live estimate of "wait time". If this works how we anticipate - everyone will get in in very short order.

Disadvantages - everyone coming to the site will have to go through the "waiting room", whether visiting the sale or not - there was just no way to implement it otherwise.....

This year - there is a lot of inventory in some items..... so everyone should have a crack at something. There are at least two planes with more than 300 seconds available (ouch) , and more than 500 20 TPI Dovetail saws (ouch again).

We have our fingers crossed.....

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    Well, the fickle finger of fate has struck. ( I’m old enough to remember the Smother Brothers)
    The sale starts at noon eastern time on Wednesday.
    Waiting room holding area until you’re admitted to the sale room.

Blog Entries
    Wouldn't you know it? Before getting the email on this an appointment was made for an eye exam next Wednesday at 9:10 am PDT.

That translates to 12:10 pm EDT (Eastern Daylight Time)

About the only thing on my might want list would be a 20 ppi Dovetail Saw. Maybe one will be left after my appointment.

Maybe something else of interest will still be available.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Wouldn't you know it? Before getting the email on this an appointment was made for an eye exam next Wednesday at 9:10 am PDT.

That translates to 12:10 pm EDT (Eastern Daylight Time)

About the only thing on my might want list would be a 20 ppi Dovetail Saw. Maybe one will be left after my appointment.

Maybe something else of interest will still be available.

jtk
    Aren't you retired? Just move the eye appointment, silly guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    This year - there is a lot of inventory in some items..... so everyone should have a crack at something. There are at least two planes with more than 300 seconds available (ouch) , and more than 500 20 TPI Dovetail saws (ouch again).
    I think I made a mistake by telling my wife I wasn't going to spend much on the sale this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Bancroft View Post
    I think I made a mistake by telling my wife I wasn't going to spend much on the sale this year.
    I say that every year.
    Then, I have to apologize to her for gloating with my “cheap” purchases.

I may have to get a "spare" dovetail saw. I don't think I will be sharpening that little guy with these old eyes of mine. Having a spare in the till will make it easier to send a dull one out to someone with better eyes than me.

I suppose I will have to go to the sale after all to find out the price.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    Aren't you retired? Just move the eye appointment, silly guy.
    Next available one is too far out. End of the year gets busy with retirees using their annual benefit before it turns into a pumpkin on midnight December 31st.

jtk

Thank you for the heads up Rob! Let’s me get mentally ready for a big number this year! Getting the CC warmed up

The answer, we hope, is "well"....

Advantages - there is no need get up early, or try to be "first". Previous years, we had volume issues that were not representative of the number of people trying to access the site. For example- hitting "refresh" kept spooling new jobs that overwhelmed the interface with our main system. We are scaled to accommodate large numbers of concurrent users. We also anticipate that it will smooth out the checkout process - by removing the "derby" element to the process. We will scale the concurrent number of visitors in real time, as we watch system performance. Those in the waiting room will have a live estimate of "wait time". If this works how we anticipate - everyone will get in in very short order.

Disadvantages - everyone coming to the site will have to go through the "waiting room", whether visiting the sale or not - there was just no way to implement it otherwise.....

We have our fingers crossed.....

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    I say that every year.
    Then, I have to apologize to her for gloating with my “cheap” purchases.
    I think I've found the flaw in your cunning plan.

One heck of a selection today...

I was in 4 minutes into the sale.
    Virtually every plane I was "Jonsing" was sold out.
    Oh well, there were 4500 people ahead of me in the mix. What did I expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Bancroft View Post
    One heck of a selection today...
    A years "work" gone in minutes.....

And no system crash......

A years "work" gone in minutes.....

And no system crash......
    I imagine there's a lot of happy people out there right now – for my part, I wasn't expecting to be able to find a Custom 4-1/2 until next year.