Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lee Valley Annual “Seconds” sale announced

That’s too bad Tyler. It seems unusual that it would have functionality issues as they advertise otherwise. I received my skew rabbet plane and medium shoulder plane yesterday. I could not determine what made them a second.

Quote Originally Posted by David Publicover View Post
    That’s too bad Tyler. It seems unusual that it would have functionality issues as they advertise otherwise. I received my skew rabbet plane and medium shoulder plane yesterday. I could not determine what made them a second.
    No harm, no foul. LV has the best customer service of any company I've ever dealt with – and this is the first of the many seconds I've bought that had any issues. Veritas tools are still the best available, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Bancroft View Post
    No harm, no foul. LV has the best customer service of any company I've ever dealt with – and this is the first of the many seconds I've bought that had any issues. Veritas tools are still the best available, IMHO.
    Hi Tyler,

Sorry about that…sounds for sure like we goofed. No worries, we’ll put it right for you. Not sure how that would have happened, but I do know it was a huge effort close to the start of the sale to get the custom planes done….

Cheers,

Rob

I do have a complaint about the two planes and two dovetail saws I purchased. I am unable to find the ‘manufacturing issue’ with any of them. . LV has one very high standard of excellence. If these are seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi Tyler,

Sorry about that…sounds for sure like we goofed. No worries, we’ll put it right for you. Not sure how that would have happened, but I do know it was a huge effort close to the start of the sale to get the custom planes done….

Cheers,

Rob
    No worries, Rob! I appreciate that you have the seconds sale every year. My workshop's a fair sight better equipped because of it. Cheers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Weiner View Post
    I do have a complaint about the two planes and two dovetail saws I purchased. I am unable to find the ‘manufacturing issue’ with any of them. . LV has one very high standard of excellence. If these are seconds.
    When the standards are high it is easy to reject something us mere mortals might never notice. Then again there are some folks who would complain about a stray speck of dust.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Weiner View Post
    I have only ever discovered the "defect" on one other Veritas second – and it was after three years of regular use, and only because I had completely disassembled the tool to do a deep cleaning and lubrication. I do wish more companies would have Lee Valley's quality standards. They put most other manufacturers to shame.

Got my new 4-1/2 custom smoother from the Veritas seconds sale yesterday. I must say, I see absolutely nothing wrong with it and it cuts just beautifully!

I got my 3 planes today and I don’t know what defects they had as the quality looks to be the same as the new ones I have purchased in the past.

Hi,

Cosmetic defects include pinhole voids on ground surfaces, casting porosity, or irregular transitions from ground to cast surfaces.

There are also some out of tolerance cosmetic defects….like wing thickness of bench planes. (One side visually different from the other).

The defects can be tough to spot…..

Cheers,

Rob

I had a #4 and #7 arrive last week (thanks Rob!) and I was able to find a few pinhole pits on one body and a wee scrap on the corner of the other. I would not have noticed either if I hadn't gone looking.

After 30 minutes of honing and tuning the chipbreakers, there was only the sweet sound of flying fluffy shavings.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

The sale is not still on is it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon SPEAKS View Post
    The sale is not still on is it?
    No, it is not. If you are not already on the Lee Valley email list it might be a good time to join.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Agreed. Before this year I never knew Lee Valley had a seconds sale. I'll be back next year!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    No, it is not. If you are not already on the Lee Valley email list it might be a good time to join.

jtk