Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lee Valley Annual “Seconds” sale announced

So much better than years past!

I, too, picked up a LH skew rabbet.

It looks like right now (Thursday morning) there are still 20 tpi dovetail saws available!

I had my days off, I thought it was today. Oh well theres always next year.

Rob, hopefully in the future the product supply challenges that we see today will be resolved. Having said that, it would have been nice if the customers who have had product on order for months and will still need to wait for months to have had advance right to refusal on the seconds. I would have jumped at the chance to pick up seconds of the mortise chisels I have on order.

Well, consider me fortunate then, because i was clueless of the sale this year. A buddy texted me at 11:59 or 12:00 and simply said "lee valley seconds sale Go! Go! Go!". Maybe a minute later i had a large shoulder plane in a cart and i checked out. Its something i dont have in my arsenal and ive waited and waited for one to hit the used market for 2-3 years. When i first got in through the waiting room, 95% of the planes were available. By the time i checked out and got back to the main page at 12:04 or whatever, 75% were sold out.

I support this idea, but hopefully we won't be in backorder purgatory next year

Totally missed the announcement this time. So much for an early Santa.

Question: "When is the Lie-Nielsen seconds sale?"

Answer:"There are no Lie-Nielsen seconds."

Received my plane on saturday. Lee Valley is up there with the best of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Received my plane on saturday. Lee Valley is up there with the best of them.

I got my Custom 4-1/2 today and was a little surprised – it looks to my eye like the defect was that the casting was dropped and one of the corners of the sole was warped, so the sole isn't flat. I've bought plenty of the seconds, and this is the first time there was a defect that'd affect usability. (I think it's only the second time I've ever been able to find the "defect" at all, which is a testament to LV's standards.)

I'd contact customer service. The sale clearly stated that none of the imperfections affected functionality. Perhaps one of the functionally imperfect soles got placed in the wrong pile and not caught.

My 4-1/2 is being delivered tomorrow. Hope it's flat! 😳

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Bancroft View Post
    I got my Custom 4-1/2 today and was a little surprised – it looks to my eye like the defect was that the casting was dropped and one of the corners of the sole was warped, so the sole isn't flat. I've bought plenty of the seconds, and this is the first time there was a defect that'd affect usability. (I think it's only the second time I've ever been able to find the "defect" at all, which is a testament to LV's standards.)

My large shoulder plane is virtually defect free. There is a small circular visual mark that is a slightly different color/tone from the surrounding metal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Bancroft View Post
    How badly out of flat is the sole?

Is it just one corner or does the sole have a large hump?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    How badly out of flat is the sole?

Is it just one corner or does the sole have a large hump?

jtk
    Perhaps 1/16th from flat at the worst spot, with a visible deformation extending over about a square centimeter. I dislike lapping and my tool rehab queue is already overfull, so I'm sending it back to LV.