Thread: Looking for a metal/wood portable saw

Looking for a metal/wood portable saw

I started a new job and am looking for recommendations for a do all compact, battery operated saw in the Dewalt family. Essentially I started a job where I have to be very mobile and am building my tool bag up to suit this need. A driver covers 30% of my needs, a drill 20%, hand tools 20%, a multi tool 20% but the last 10% I am trying to figure out a saw that will cover both metal and wood. I currently do not carry one and would like to for the odd time I need one. Everything is built with 2x,1x,1/4in luan, and some conduit here and there so big and mighty is not the name of the game. I just ordered a 12v impact to replace my 20v XR. Nothing needs to be super pretty but I do need a modicum of accuracy in the cut. I've got a reciprocating saw and have considered the dewalt one handed reciprocating saw but some of the material is so flimsy it can be hard to get a good mount on the swivel area. A portable bandsaw was a thought but that only covers metal. A jigsaw could work but I would prefer something that is a little more ridgid in its cut. My current thought is the dewalt 20v DCS373 5.5in metal cutting circular saw that I can get a wood cutting blade for. It spins at roughly the same rpm as Dewalts 12v 5 3/8 circular saw. Carrying an extra blade to switch between is no problem. Slow cuts are not a problem. I know I am asking for weird advice but maybe someone else has been in the same position and has some insight before I go down the gamut of tools trying to find the right one. Thank you for any help. I've got a 20v XR dewalt sawzall and circular saw currently. I just do not really need that kind of power/depth of cut. I just ordered a 12v impact to replace my 20v to have something lighter to carry around.

There are small 3 3/8" to 4 1/2" saws available. A lot of them have the same sized arbor so they should be able to take blades from other manufacturers.
    The DeWalt is the 20 V - DCS571B - a 4 1/2" that they claim will cut 2" at 90*.
    I have the 12V Makita 3 3/8". It handles 3/4" and thinner with no problem, but, it's pretty under powered for anything much thicker.

I can't speak for all of them - but - my Makita leaves a pretty ragged edge also.
    One of these days I'll try a finer toothed blade to see how that works.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Even if your needs seem simple, sometimes trying to make a single, battery-operated portable tool work across multiple applications/materials can bring more compromise than may be workable. Based on your description, I'd select two different tools, each more appropriate for their intended task. Remember, "hassle" costs you time/money, so making your job easier is a good thing.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-23-2021 at 9:37 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Cassius Nielsen View Post
    A portable bandsaw was a thought but that only covers metal.
    News to me - I’ve had a Milwaukee Porta-Band that I’ve used for wood for almost 20 years - leaves a great cut. Back in the day I imported furniture - much of it from Indonesia - with extra long legs. I’d deliver a table and cut the legs to length on the spot.

I actually bought a duplicate model and installed a metal cutting blade. I mounted a SWAG Off-road porta-band table that I clamp into a vice and power through a foot switch - I even put a video on YouTube (my only one) cutting metal like it’s butter. I’ve cut stainless for my boat many times.

These saws aren’t light or compact but boy do they make nice cuts.