Thread: Raised panels on shaper with Aigner fence - what's your approach?

Raised panels on shaper with Aigner fence - what's your approach?

i'm curious what configuration others are using to cut raised panels on the shaper. specifically, with freeborn-sized raise panel cutters (6" diameter). best i can tell, there are two options - both of them preclude the use of the bottom finger on the Aigner fence, as it contacts the spindle/spacers. so, we can run CCW and cut from the top, or CW and cut from the bottom.... either way, some sort of auxiliary fence/support needs to catch the tongue to close the large gap across the fence opening. i've been using a 6mm piece of baltic with a "stiffener" glued to the face, and running the cutter CW with the stock face down... but i've been second guessing that approach.

now, i suppose that another approach would be to remove both of the aigner fence faces, and build a single auxiliary fence... but it still needs a thin, continuous support either high or low...

curious what others do. thanks for the input.

-- dz

I don't have an Aigner fence, so your solution may be different. I am guessing the thickness of the Aigner fence elements is too great to allow for the tongue length you need. Anyway, I run raised panels face up so as to get a defined tongue thickness above the table and so the panel registers on the table following the cut. I use an auxiliary hardwood fence scooped out on the bandsaw around the spindle and under the cutter, keeping it as thick as possible and continuous across the gap.

kevin, thanks - can you post a photo of your aux fence?

David, I can't get to the shop right now but when I can I will get a shot. I typically use a 3/4" x 2" section the length of the table. In plan view I cut a radius just larger than the spindle spacers leaving about 1/4" at the front for the panel to ride on. In elevation I cut out a rectangular section large enough for the cutter to protrude, leaving the panel tongue thickness at the bottom. With some cutters I would break through the auxiliary fence with the spinning cutter, but there's no need in this case and it would probably fracture the fragile remaining section. I screw the auxiliary fence to a wooden subfence which is clamped to the table.

Would it be possible for you to get a smaller diameter spacer under the cutter which would allow using your standard fence?
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 10-22-2021 at 8:59 PM.

yeah i thought about that, i might be able to shave off a few millimeters. i also have made auxiliary fence where i run a piece of 1/8" aluminum bar stock across the face as the bearing surface... not necessarily stronger, but surely tougher to break, and waxes nicely. i'll poke through my spacers tomorrow and see if i can use something else. gut feel is i'll stick with the same technique you are doing, cut face up, auxiliary fence.

Joe, thank you kindly. Hope you and the family are well. Patrick

joe - perfect. this is precisely the answer. i like the height adjuster. i'll build this tomorrow - thanks.

-- dz

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post

I use an Aigner fence on my Martin shaper,and run the panels face up,so the tongue is consistent regardless of the thickness of material, as previously mentioned.I bought smaller diameter spacers from Oella saw and too so I can use the bottom finger on the fence to bridge the gap.

Is it more dangerous to run raised panels in the face up position?

Blog Entries
    Not an aigner, but this was my solution to a continuous fence thin enough for a small panel raiser.
    20211022_220517.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Robbinett View Post
    Is it more dangerous to run raised panels in the face up position?
    With a power feed I don't consider it unsafe.

Here is an auxiliary fence I fasten to a wood subfence for work like this, relieved at the spindle to allow sufficient cutter projection.

DSC_0739[1].jpg