Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stopping Robocalls

Years ago we picked up an Ooma so we could make - more or less "free" long distance calls.
    Since getting it, we have moved more and more to just using our cell phones, but, we kept the Ooma and use that number to register a phone number when we sign up for reward programs from vendors.
    Places like Staples & Meijers & the bank.

I had been setting it to go to voice mail after two rings, but, even that got beyond our ability to deal with with the flood of Medicare calls - 30 plus per day - so I just unplugged the Ooma from the phone.
    It still has voice mail & the Ooma app on my cell phone lets me know if there's a voice mail message.
    So far, after a month, the only voice mail message is the one I tested it with.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    So might I get a robot of my own to say "please press 3 to complete your call"? A robocaller would not be able to do that and would not get thru.

There is several phones that do this. I have a Vtech, but I think Att also has one. They don't use you "3" but the # key. The Vtech if a number is not in your phone book, or allow list it will give you options of what to do with the caller. Here is link for more info on the one I have https://www.vtechphones.com/support/...t/product/4371

Can I set my cellphone to not ring unless the number calling is in my contact list? More and more people are not answering their phone for a unknown #. At some point what is the purpose of a phone that can not accept calls.
    I understand that in the old USSR there was no phone book. The government said you should only call people you knew so you had their number anyway. Save al lthat work of printing and distributing phone books.
    Bill D

So might I get a robot of my own to say "please press 3 to complete your call"? A robocaller would not be able to do that and would not get thru.
    Yes, this exists, and it works, we have friends who use it.

NoMoRobo (different from the "press 3 to speak to a human" thing) eliminates 95% of the calls for us and is free for landlines. I highly recommend it. Unfortunately their cell phone version didn't work well for me when I tried it a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Can I set my cellphone to not ring unless the number calling is in my contact list? M
    Most smartphones support this.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I check the incoming call number before I answer.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    NoMoRobo (different from the "press 3 to speak to a human" thing) eliminates 95% of the calls for us and is free for landlines. I highly recommend it. Unfortunately their cell phone version didn't work well for me when I tried it a few years ago.
    I'm trying it at the moment: seems to be working, although admittedly the volume of unwanted calls on the cell is a small fraction of what shows up on the "landline".

But there's no easy way to tell what percentage of the calls it marks as robocalls are from numbers I already had blocked.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    I'm trying it at the moment: seems to be working, although admittedly the volume of unwanted calls on the cell is a small fraction of what shows up on the "landline".

But there's no easy way to tell what percentage of the calls it marks as robocalls are from numbers I already had blocked.
    On the landline version your phone will ring once if NoMoRobo blocks the call.

Services like NoMoRobo are great for "known numbers", but have the same difficulty with randomly spoofed CID numbers that we humans do. That's why the only long term solution is for such things to be detected and blocked at the carrier level.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I check the incoming call number before I answer.
    On my cell phone I look at the number calling and if I don't recognize it I push "call screen" and the caller gets a message that I'm using a screening device and to state their name and the reason for the call....they always hang up after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Any politician that ends robo calls, diverts unwanted flooding from East of the Rockies to Western deserts, and finances the search to cure Cancer will go down in history books as the first universally loved president.
    I'll nominate any person who ends robocalls for a Nobel Prize.

yea me too I'm gettin 2 to 3 calls an hour, I don't answer any of them, i have blocking but its useless, and because I live in AZ and my number is a NH calls start coming in a 7am my time. No I'm not gonna change my number that won't do anygood.Some genius out there will find away I hoe its soon.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I've had my phone set to only take calls from people in my Contacts list for years. Just recently, I've started getting unwanted texts though. I was able to set it some sort of way so there was no alert given, but they still show up on the phone. A little bit of trouble to delete them, but I haven't bothered to try to figure out how to eliminate the silent, unwanted texts.

Got all three of my neurons working together and here's what they came up with,

User fees for high caller volume. Say the first 100 calls per day are covered by the base rate, then callers must pay 1 cent per call. This would not be a significant burden for legitimate business as each call must have a value of more than 1 cent.

What could go wrong?

Where did I get 3 neurons you ask, conjugal visits and fertility drugs.

The solution is actually much easier than this. The next time you fill out a form online use your congressman's office phone number... assuming their personal number isn't available.

As soon as the inconvenience to those that make the laws outweigh the campaign contributions they are receiving from the telecom industry the problem will be solved.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 11-29-2021 at 7:35 PM.

Only other option: waste their time. Which costs you some. My latest tactic: Call the toll free # they give you. Someone tried the Norton scam and simply listed a phone number. I rang it at least 27 times, let them impatiently say Hello? about 10 times, then they hang up. Pound the heck out of them. Took to about the 29th ring and Ta DA! I got blocked by the India scamming pukes.

Occurred to me that if you had a genuinely trustworthy group of individuals across the country that you could share that number with via a twitter connection per se, you could have hundreds slamming them with dead calls. Yah - I know - they just run a different number to fix the situation. But if you had a good collection of people spread far and wide, someone's gonna get the new one and start again.

Most Important if you take any such action: DO NOT SPEAK. If you say one word indicating that you are aware of who they are, the gloves are off and the expletives start flying from their filthy little faces. And they are vindictive, nasty little imps. However, saying nothing keeps them on the line - it could be a bad connection - maybe you're just an idiot (even better for them...) but they MUST keep up the fake patience and sincerity, as there's always a chance, you might still be the perfect target.

I know - best advice is not to answer, but some days, it's just the wrong day to poke me. SOMEONE's got to try something!

Last edited by Jeff Roltgen; 11-29-2021 at 8:16 PM.