Thread: Clamp on ammeter choices?

Clamp on ammeter choices?

I specifically want to know how much current the blowers in my dust collecors are drawing. Paying a few extra dollars for a plug in GFCI outlet checker seems prudent. All the ones I saw at the homestores today (team blue and team orange) sure looked like the same product from the same factory, with a bit of variance in the order the various functions appeared on the rotary swtich. Prices were from $42-$189 for what looked like virtually identical units.

I am not an electrician, I am a professional biologist and a hobby woodworker. Is there a price point or a brand name where I can say "my blower is drawing XYZ amps" and have reputable data? I mean for like Electrical Engineers to say, "yup, that is credible current draw."

Thanks

Is this one time use? Accuracy and quality go up as the price does generally speaking. If you dont plan on using it the cheapest one would be the way to go. It will be accurate enough

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Is this one time use? Accuracy and quality go up as the price does generally speaking. If you dont plan on using it the cheapest one would be the way to go. It will be accurate enough

Gotta agree with George
    I prefer and use Fluke both at work and home, even they have a wide range of prices. No way can I justify the money for the one at home, but I have it anyway.
    Ron

UEI make good instruments. In all my contractor trainings on HVAC equipment over 35 yrs the classes were equipped with UEI meters. Most of the guys went on to use UEI in the field and as I saw them repeatedly over the years there were no complaints on the meters. Ron is correct. Fluke is the gold standard on multimeters, but you can spend serious dough.

If you are in the "always buy good tools" camp, look at the amprobe 210. For around $100 you get true RMS, current, voltage, resistance and capacitance measurement from the company that invented the clamp on meter and still (IMO) leads the field. No connection except as a satisfied user for decades....

You also couldn't go wrong with Fluke.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Gotta agree with George
    I prefer and use Fluke both at work and home, even they have a wide range of prices. No way can I justify the money for the one at home, but I have it anyway.
    Ron
    +1 on Fluke.
    But as others point out, it matters greatly what you are using it for...
    Cost to run a motor/tool/appliance? Accuracy matters most.

Comparing before/after modifications? Repeatability may be critical. Maybe all you need to know is if current draw went up or down - - but not really how much.

Resolution? Reliability? Portability? Clamp on? (Tho' it sounds like you may be looking for - or at least get by with - a plug in unit.)

Fluke won't typically be cheap, but I have a 787 that has worked flawlessly for 20+ yrs.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 10-22-2021 at 10:57 AM.

I thrown away enough cheaper multi-meters, of various types, to have bought a Fluke to start with. Now the only ones are Fluke, except for one Fieldpiece in the HVAC toolbox.

Hi Scott,

Here's an interesting thread about low-cost clamp-meters, in particular the Uni-T UT210E:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testge...-uni-t-ut210e/

I like that the unit has true RMS readings.

https://uni-trend.com/html/product/G...es/UT210E.html

Thanks and good health, Weogo

Do you have a regular multimeter? If so you can just get a clamp probe for it vs buying another meter. I use both at work and find the clamp probe is easier to use than the clamp meter. With a probe your meter is remote so reading and turning the dial it is much easier. If you are in a wide open place it's not an issue but if trying to measure a wire in a box it can make a difference.

Blog Entries
    I have two Amprobes, one for home, the other for the RV. Model ACD-6. Just be aware you must separate the conductors to measure amperage, you can't just clamp around the three wire cord. https://www.amazon.com/Amprobe-ACD-6...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

NOW you tell me...

My clamp on meters are Fluke, which is my preferred brand.

I bought a clamp on meter from a borg. It gets used MAYBE once a year and accuracy of +- 5% is plenty good enough for my purposes. I have no doubt that Fluke or Amprobe are superior devices but overkill for my purposes.

any clamp meter will work. my go to meter is fluke but if this isn't going to be used very often i also like ideal, and milwaukee. If i was looking for just very occasional use i'd consider the klein amp meters, it's about $55 from HD or $62 if you want the temp thermistor version.