Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Test Drive of a Veritas Dovetail Saw

I use what WORKS for me....YMMV.

(But...then again...I am NOT trying to sell a saw...)
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post

I don’t think at this point the conversation is about what works for you. Or YMMV. Or someone trying (or not) to sell a saw. It’s about you calling out the Veritas dovetail saw as filed crosscut when it is clearly filed as rip.

Blog Entries

You keep making accusations without benefit of any support.

If my post on this is an attempt at "trying to sell a saw," my efforts haven't been effective. So far my grandson has a better saw than he had and is impressed with it. It impressed me so much a 20 ppi saw was purchased at the seconds sale to complement my other dovetail saws. Those do include a Disston among others used for cutting dovetails depending on the particular project.

Currently the market for joinery saws is limited. There are saws at the Big Orange from $10 to $30 that are useable for the job. They are worth what is paid for them. One of my dovetail saws is such a saw. It doesn't cut as smooth as any of my modern 'premium' saws. Most folks purchasing their first dovetail saw would have a problem with a used flea market or estate sale find. You have even mentioned having to have someone else sharpen your saws.

The Veritas dovetail saws are among the lowest priced 'premium' saws on the market. My saw kit, without a handle, cost more.

You also mentioned (or implied) the Veritas saw you used and found lacking was filed crosscut. My guess is you were using something other than a dovetail saw.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

IF YOU found a saw YOU like...more power to you....I'll keep using what I am comfortable using.

A poor workman always blames his tools....while a good one will learn HOW to use those tools. Which camp are you in?

All I was saying was I did indeed try such a saw out....saw started about as easy as my No. 4 Disston....took a bit longer in the cut...and tended to wander around in the cut. Saw was tried out about a year before Charles passed away.

YMMV....

IF YOU found a saw YOU like...more power to you....I'll keep using what I am comfortable using.

A poor workman always blames his tools....while a good one will learn HOW to use those tools. Which camp are you in?

All I was saying was I did indeed try such a saw out....saw started about as easy as my No. 4 Disston....took a bit longer in the cut...and tended to wander around in the cut. Saw was tried out about a year before Charles passed away.

YMMV....
    None of that is what I’m taking issue with. You stated multiple times now that the Veritas dovetail saw is filed crosscut. It is not. And you are also implying that those that state that fact are only trying to sell the saw. Why not man up and say you were mistaken?

Ok, that was.....special. since I do not remember seeing YOU at that get together at Charles Neil's shop....and...get YOUR bleeding facts straight....IF that is even possible with you.

Out of here......
    What facts would that be? You can only libel a company for so long before the facts catch up with you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by J. Greg Jones; 10-28-2021 at 4:15 PM.

Veritas makes two crosscut saws the same form and size as the dovetail rip saws, it could be that's what he was using. 16ppi and 22ppi

Or someone re-sharpened and re-filed a rip version crosscut

Either way there is no telling what the saw actually was by arguing on the internet and trying to force someone to admit they were wrong. Why get so upset about what he is reporting about his experience? I've got quite the LV collection and have spent tons of money and love their products, it's not a slight on the company or products for him to share that he found a crosscut saw visiting someone and it didn't cut dovetails well.

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

He didn’t say he found a crosscut saw that didn’t cut dovetails well. He said the Veritas dovetail saw is filled crosscut instead of rip. Big difference. And he is also insinuating that the members here are offering disingenuous opinions because they are trying to sell saws. Or are you so accustomed to fake news that you don’t see a difference? And I’m being nice.

Anyone want to start a pool on how long before this thread gets locked?

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

For the record, the only Veritas saw I own is a flush trim saw, therefore I have zero experience with the Veritas dovetail saw. Having said that, I see the same 1-2 people bashing Lee Valley and Lie-Nielsen at every opportunity. They speak of customers wasting money on current production tools, suggesting that the money would be better spent on vintage tools. Perhaps so. Or saying that the tools are not made as they should be (rip or crosscut).

But here is one thing that is indisputable. Lee Valley and Lie Nielsen are absolute pillars in the woodworking community. I’m most familiar with Lee Valley, so I’ll mention that prior to his death the founder Leonard Lee has received huge acclaim in his donation to medical research. Lee Valley has also received global recognition for they compensation structure they have in place that makes it much more equitable to the lower-level workers that was ever seen in a Stanley, or Millers Falls, or other manufacturers of the 20th century. The president of LV participates in this and other online forums, offering support and solutions to CS issues. Both LV and LN are hugely supportive of their communities and new woodworkers. How someone could say ‘If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.’ when people attack these companies is beyond me. Feel feee to comment on how Stanley or Millers Falls, etc. enriched anything other than their own corporate profits.

Ok...I went back and READ my posts.....and I did NOT say the saw I tried out was filed either way...

Well...more than welcome to show up at my shop....have an Geo. Bishop No. 10 you can try out....coarse or fine teeth? Saw has both...
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 10-29-2021 at 8:25 AM.