One of my grandsons and granddaughters is up for a visit. My grandson Mike has a bit of interest in woodworking.

We have been working on making a box for him to store his shoe maintenance supplies. He recently built a shoe rack. It was difficult for me to let him do all the work of cutting slots and dovetails.

Since he doesn't have a lot of tools it seemed like a good idea to buy him an early Christmas present even if he celebrates Chanukah instead.

Him and his sister decided they wanted to camp on the Olympic Peninsula and left yesterday. His saw arrived yesterday.

Resistance was futile…

A piece of scrap was cut, squared & marked.

The saw was amazingly comfortable in my hand. The sawing seemed effortless. Easy to track and a light grip lets the saw do its work.

Made of high-carbon steel, the blade is 9 1/4" long and 0.020" thick, with a cut depth of about 1 9/16". The teeth, set 0.003" per side, have a rake angle of 14° and an included angle of 60°. The blades have 14 or 20 rip-cut teeth per inch. The 14 tpi model is most efficient on stock thicker than 1/2"
Veritas Dovetail Saw.jpg

Usually it takes me a few practice sets of dovetails to get one to come out this well. Usually my pins are marked with a knife. This time a pencil was used. Had to catch myself a couple time starting the saw on the wrong side of the line.

This is a great saw for the price. My recommendation for anyone looking for a great, ready to go out of the box dovetail saw for less than $100, this is the one.

jtk