Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on the Veritas Router Plane?

Opinions on the Veritas Router Plane?

I’ve slowly been accruing more hand tools and I’m currently looking at router planes. I usually buy used, but the price of used router planes makes me think I’m better off buying new. The Veritas Router Plane seems to get good reviews. What are your thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Hi David, like you my preference is usually for second hand tools. Most of my new tool purchases have been for tools that are expensive second hand (due usually to collectability). Though just this week a new dovetail saw was purchased as a gift to my grandson.

My only experience with anything to do with the Veritas Router Planes is the blades for use in my Sargent Router Plane and the miniature version router plane.

Assuming the plane is as good as the blades it would be money well spent.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It's awesome.
    Buy one.

"It's awesome" met the character requirement so I wanted to stop there for fun, but yeah, it's awesome. Buy it. I have it and all the imperial blades. If you do shallow mortices, (hinges), you will be glad to have it.

Be aware- it's a slow tool. A nibbler. You want fast, use an electric router. After you make the right jig.
    Last edited by Dave Zellers; 10-21-2021 at 9:51 PM.

It's very useful to watch videos of skilled woodworkers using one. Paul Sellers.

Local in my extreme (humidity swing) environment I was able to assemble and restore a full set of Bailey bench planes, but is was not easy because of the rust. I looked at a few local joinery planes while I was accumulating bench planes, but just couldn't commit. Parts availability was one problem, the other was trying to restore precision in tools like that.

Having said all that, all my joinery planes are new production L-N or LV/V. I have the large size Veritas router plane. Out of the box I took the wood handles off, sprayed it down with some solvent, wiped it down, looked over the irons and put it to work. Other than sharpening the irons and occasional SCJohnson floor wax on the sole (maintenance) it has required no restoration work. None. It worked out of the box, and has continued to work as designed with nothing but minimal maintenance from me.

The tipping point for me was the L-N was only available with one iron width, the Veritas has a ton of iron widths (imperial and metric). It could very well be the the L-N can use irons from whatever vintage Stanley, but I don't have local access to those vintage irons.

If you are looking at a tool that says either of Lie-Nielsen or Veritas on it you are looking at a good tool. I will allow various people may prefer one or the other for ergonomics, but i don't know of a crap tool with either of those two names on it.

I did get the fence and the wooden box with my Veritas router plane, and no regrets. There is something about the skates, the accessory skate, for the Veritas plow plane that I don't quite have teased out. If you get the router and the fence for it on the same order they should be compatible with each other forever. I finally put the wooden storage case for my router plane together just yesterday, it is a beautiful thing.

If I ever get to go to a woodworking trade show I will handle all the joinery planes (and the chisels and the saws) at both of those two vendors' booths looking for subtle (individual) ergonomic differences. If I have a big fire or a meteor hit and an insurance check, I will put a new Veritas large router plane on backorder without blinking an eye.

Hth

I’ve got a Lie Nielsen router plane, which is fantastic. I find the router plane very useful, and every Veritas tool I’ve ever used has been great. So, a router plane is a useful tool and if you like the Veritas one you will be happy with it.

Blog Entries
    It could very well be the the L-N can use irons from whatever vintage Stanley
    No, they can not. The Stanley irons mount in a V-slot like the Lee Valley/Veritas irons. The Lie-Nielsen blades mount in a flat/square slot.

Just now looking on the Lie-Nielsen site it also appears they have two routers one for open mouth operation and one for closed mouth operation. The Veritas has two slots for the blade, one inside and one outside the base.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    No, they can not. jtk
    You would be one of the experts on that. I am not one of them experts. In the moment (back then) I knew I have essentially zero local access to vintage irons for router planes, so even in if the L-N router could use vintage iron, I don't have access to vintage router plane irons. So I went with the Veritas.

Thanks for clarifying.

Blog Entries
    It is fairly clear with a close look at the images on the two web sites.

You will be very happy (and likely impressed) with the Veritas.

jtk

I used to have a vintage Stanley #71 that I used infrequently. I sold it in the great tool purge of 2019. Part of the reason is it was fussy to get set just right. As luck would have it, my next project required a router plane. After a fair bit of research I got a Veritas and have been very happy.

Derek Cohen has a comprehensive review here: https://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRe...r%20Plane.html including a comparison to the LN offering (also a fine tool)
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post

The tipping point for me was the L-N was only available with one iron width, the Veritas has a ton of iron widths (imperial and metric).

Hth
    LN offers an adapter for its Large Router Planes which enables you to use the blades for their Small Router Planes. I have both tools, the adapter and all the blades and am very pleased with their performance. I’ve never used the Veritas, but I’m sure it’s a fine tool as well, although I’ve read comments that their blades are more difficult to sharpen.

To the OP: check out LN’s and Rob Cosman’s YouTube videos about router planes for a lot of helpful tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    LN offers an adapter for its Large Router Planes which enables you to use the blades for their Small Router Planes. I have both tools, the adapter and all the blades and am very pleased with their performance. I’ve never used the Veritas, but I’m sure it’s a fine tool as well, although I’ve read comments that their blades are more difficult to sharpen.

To the OP: check out LN’s and Rob Cosman’s YouTube videos about router planes for a lot of helpful tips.
    Stephen, I could argue that the LN blades are harder to sharpen than the Veritas, as the LN have a shorter face (= less registration).

For ease of sharpening Veritas and Stanley blades, my sharpening method: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Woodwor...aneBlades.html

Vic Tesolin turned this into a video for FWW magazine ….

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks for all of the input! The opinions seem pretty definitive and one-sided. Maybe I’ll get lucky enough to pick one up at the seconds sale…

hey I am relatively new to woodworking so take what I say with a grain of salt...

that being said, I have the Veritas large router plane and the Lie Nielsen small router plane.

I bought the veritas over the L-N large router mainly because I was scared of sharpening the blade (did I mention I was new to this?). Veritas blade is detachable and can be mounted on a sharpening jig. I will say that while it works the sharpening jig seems like the least premium part of the tool, if you don't pay attention the blade can skew on it.
    I also am not sure about the locking mechanism for the depth adjuster. it locks solidly and I have had zero issues with it, but I question why they have it mounted to the threads and not to the shaft of the router blade itself, seems you would have more purchase that way and less chance of damaging your threads...

I got the small L-N router plane for hinges. I chose LN because the veritas model has a round shaft and would probably be prone to twisting. the LN shaft is square.

also, sharpening it is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

hope I was helpful?