Thread: General info on metal buildings?

General info on metal buildings?

I'm considering the possibility of a metal building for RV and misc storage. Something like 25 wide by 40 long. At this point it's just idle thinking on my part and wondering if the cost is affordable.

In very general terms what did you find the cost to be for one to be erected on your property? Is there some rough rule of thumb I can use to help me decide if it's worth my time to start actually dealing with the various vendors out there? I hate to "fill in the blanks" on their websites to get semi-accurate quotes because I know my mailbox is going to explode with spam and my voicemail as well.

For those of you who've lived through the process, I'd enjoy your input.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

A metal frame building (carport style) is a consideration for my future shop building in addition to wood post frame. If you go to the Carolina Car Ports web site, you can download a pricing sheet. and estimate a cost for a building (without the concrete pad, etc.) of the dimensions you want. Keep in mind that you need the cost for the basic structure plus the side walls plus the endwalls, etc. They used to have a visual configurator that you could generate an estimate more easily, but with the surcharges for steel, etc., I guess they decided to pull them. You will likely find the cost of the structure surprising compared to a wood stick-built structure, but you should also look at wood post-frame, too. They also can be very reasonable in price and generally are built by more local concerns rather than assembled. For the metal structure, you need a vendor that actually installed in your geography
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The more time I spend here the less apt I am to install more metal roofing with exposed fasteners. Somebody here, I think Tom King, puts raised seam metal roofing on chicken coops and woodsheds.

I do agree exposed fastener metal roofing is a suboptimal solution for conditioned spaces with HVAC and insualtion and so on. I am starting to think I just haven't yet been bitten on my unconditioned spaces.

I am starting to think I just haven't yet been bitten on my unconditioned spaces.
    You are lucky , and that’s one of the best things about mosquito repellent !!
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-05-2021 at 9:08 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

First estimate your concrete. A general rule of thumb is $2.50 to $3.50 per square foot to lay and finish the concrete. If my memory serves me correct the formula for estimating yards of concrete is:

Length x Width
    Then multiply that number by the thickness
    Then divide that number by 27

So for the shop I am considering building it would be 120 x 60 = 7200. Then 7200 times the thickness of 1/4 or .25 which is 1800
    Then divide that number by 27 for a total of roughly 67 yards of concrete.

So a yard of concrete here is roughly $100. The cost of the concrete itself would be $6,700 before tax and the labor to have it installed at $2.50 per square foot would be $18,000 before tax for a total of $24,700 before tax.

Your concrete will be much less than mine. I am figuring your grand total before tax based on a 25ft x 40ft to be roughly $3,575.

I'm with you in general Bobby, but a 25x40 concrete slab is going to be well north of the $3575 number you derived. My future shop will be about 24x36, give or take, and the estimate in this area for that is about $9000 and coming from multiple sources. There are certainly geographic differences, but while material cost is what it is, the labor to set and finish a smaller slab isn't proportionally less than a larger one. It's less for sure, but still more per square foot just due to the nature of the work. Another factor is whether it will be a flat slab or monolithic. Local jurisdiction is going to come into play there and monolithic is going to have a higher cost, albeit it also has benefits, too.
    --

Don't forget electrical! You will want to have power to it.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

One of the things I build and sell are a nationally recognized brand of steel frame metal buildings. We also design and build our own pole sheds and stick built steel buildings on foundation. It's impossible to accurately estimate a price without a lot more details, but a realistic range for the building here is $50-$100/sqft, depending on options. It's a pretty wide and useless range, digging into details will narrow it quickly.

menards.com had a decent little steel building configurator that will price out a building package based on your drawing.

Steve, are you doing "red steel" or "Carport" type buildings when you do the metal projects? 'Just curious...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Steve, are you doing "red steel" or "Carport" type buildings when you do the metal projects? 'Just curious...
    Jim our bigger buildings are either red iron or wood frame. Generally wood frame for something like the OP asked about, up to 48' wide or so, much bigger usually is better with red iron. We don't build the carport style. Nothing against them, just chose to not compete in that market.

I got a quote from Heritage a year ago for a 120 x 60 just the steel building itself, no slab or install but it did include a large garage door and entry door plus insulation for under $70,000 after tax. My concrete guy will pour and finish for $2.50 per sq/ft. The concrete in my area was roughly $113 per yard last time I checked.?

Thanks, Steve. I was just curious what you were using in your patch for the customers you cater to.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Thanks, Steve. I was just curious what you were using in your patch for the customers you cater to.
    It seems to go in phases, a few months ago we put up a couple old fashioned arch quonsets, which are the cheapest building kit to buy but expensive to finish. With neighbors seeing what was going on and the rumor mill, we now have 5 more of those on the schedule. You can never tell whats coming. Only one post frame this year, probably because of the prices I'd guess.

Wonder over to new ag talk dot com
    always a conversation going on about buildings, although most are larger some are the same size

My building is going up next week, all metal carport type, 30x68, 6 qty 10ftx10ft roll ups and 2 man doors, with cement ( I did block on top of the cement to raise the metal off the ground) was just about 50k. I am in Michigan.