Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy this SCMi T130 Shaper?

Should I buy this SCMi T130 Shaper?

I have found a used SCMi T130 Shaper for sale and am curious what others experience is with this machine. Does it warrant a 8 hr round way trip to inspect/purchase. It’s priced at $800 without cutter heads, the seller says it whines so new bearings and a new pigtail are needed.

This would be my first shaper, so I’m not exactly sure what to look for if I go inspect it.

It does not have the slider feature, is this something that can it be added and is it even sold separately?

I mainly plan to use it tor edge profiles, but it would be great to set it up for tenons as well. I know shapers are quite versatile so tell me what else you are using them for in your shop?

Thank you

Blog Entries
    But it now before I fly to Oregon to get it.

Seriously though there is no down side to having a 130 class machine. It's way more than you need for edge profiles (I'm assuming on cabinet doors) but for the price (even needing bearings) it would be a good deal.

The pigtail requrement is suspect though.. those Italian motors are not cheap to fix other than bearings. Size wise (small body for the hp rating) nothing readily available here compares. So Swapping one out isn't really feasible.

It should be 9 or 11 hp 3 phase. That's not a problem if you don't have 3 phase already but should be considered.
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 10-21-2021 at 4:01 PM.

130 class is mid level SCM spindle moulder. it will handle the needs of a commercial shop. I almost bought one last year but end up with a 145 class with side sliding table, it was expensive at $35k USD without cutters, for $800 you cant go wrong,

there are 3 types of sliding table on SCM machines,
    1. side sliding table, I dont think you can buy this and retro fit.
    2. front sliding table, similar to a panel saw, I dont think you can buy this and retro fit.
    3. front small sliding table, mounts onto the table top of the T130, the travel is about 250-300mm only, but for small jobs this is sufficient.

you can buy 3. above from SCM or online stores such as here.
    https://www.scosarg.com/t130nst-slid...pindle-moulder

you can service SCM machines, guessing the noise is from bearing.

$800? I’d be on the way ready to bring it home. It would take several major issues and missing parts for me to pass on a T130 for $800.

The biggest thing if you don’t have 3 phase is how you’re going to power it. What do you mean by new pigtail?

Do you have photos of it that you would be willing to share for reference?

Just for comparison, I bought a (much older) SCM T100 shaper (5 Hp and less than half the size/weight of a T130) with feeder last year for around $500 and then paid another $350 to get it shipped to me, had to track down an 1 1/4” spindle and put new tires on the feeder to get it running and felt like I did just fine.

Sliding tables are nice, but having a fixed table shaper is also perfectly useful and valuable to have around. The more I use a shaper, the more I want 2 or 3 or them on hand, but I need a bigger shop before i can make that a reality.
    Still waters run deep.

Thank you gentlemen, you've confirmed my suspicions and that its worth a trip to investigate further.

Specs I found says it is 4kw or 5.5hp 3 phase and I have an open circuit wired for it ready to go. My power is at 208 though, do you think that would be an issue? I did have to install a buck booster for my Felder AD741.

I thought the seller said it needed a new pigtail but it just needs a new plug on the end, easy fix.

That sliding table looks like a great addition, I'll definitely consider it.

IMG_0890.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Renner View Post
    Thank you gentlemen, you've confirmed my suspicions and that its worth a trip to investigate further.

Specs I found says it is 4kw or 5.5hp 3 phase and I have an open circuit wired for it ready to go. My power is at 208 though, do you think that would be an issue? I did have to install a buck booster for my Felder AD741.

I thought the seller said it needed a new pigtail but it just needs a new plug on the end, easy fix.

That sliding table looks like a great addition, I'll definitely consider it.

IMG_0890.jpg
    4kw seems like a bit of a oddity on a t130. I've heard of another one with the small motor but I would expect a 5.5kw @ 50hz (6.6 kw @ 60hz)

They were not all 9 Hp and never seen a green one anymore than 9 and most were less. Id have to go back and check.

Ill try this again I have written down 6.6 HP but when I read HP changes with Efficiency, does that enter into this calculation?

IMG_2502A.jpgCapture.JPG
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 10-21-2021 at 10:56 PM.

Smoking deal, do not miss it. I have the T130 nps. Bought it in 1989. Its a 9 hsp machine and smooth as a sewing machine. Also has the sliding table.
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

I looked at the SCMI shaper yesterday and it is a VERY nice shaper. They didn't have it setup so I could run it but it looks to be in very nice condition. They might be able to move it over to a plug so you can power it up. All the controls felt tight and I could detect no slop in the spindle just trying to move it around by hand. You could bring a dial indicator and see if you get any movement on the spindle with a bit of pushing and pulling as well as look for any run out. It is an impressive looking beast of a shaper that seems to be in nice shape.

I purchased the 16" Delta long arm radial arm saw sitting right next to the SCMI shaper for $100. It is also in very good shape and what I went there to purchase. If I had a spare $800 laying around I would buy the SCMI shaper but I already own 2 shapers (not near as nice as the SCMI) that need more of a work out. I think you will be very happy with it! I will be there tomorrow afternoon picking up my new RAS.

The guys at Beamworks were very nice and they just don't use the RAS or Shaper in their production shop any more.

P.S. There is a nice powerfeeder mounted to the shaper that I believe comes with it. The powerfeeder alone is probably worth the $800.

I am almost positive the SCMI shaper is 3 phase like the RAS, but I didn't ask and didn't look either as the shaper was not what I was there for.

You can see the powerfeeder on the SCMI shaper next to my RAS:
    00i0i_8ZesnfXqjmcz_0fu0kE_1200x900.jpg

00G0G_g2W8nnX0wruz_0fu0kE_1200x900.jpg
    00q0q_23oXNQyzKw4z_0fu0kE_1200x900.jpg
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 10-22-2021 at 3:11 AM.

I'm surprised the T130 is still available. they go for 3-4K generally without feeder. The green machines were a good vintage. Dave

Still waiting to find a deal like that. I can not complain though I have two shapers at my shop that I got very good deals on, just not a T130...

Enjoy your new RAS Michael!

I spoke to Justin yesterday and he said they have two T130, selling the whiny one. Im guessing the power feeder is on the other unit but I wouldn’t mind if it was included!

Looking forward to the trip next week and a new shop toy

Thank you Christopher. I just got my new RAS home and covered up before the rain hit. It is going to take me a little while to unload from my trailer this weekend.

I was going to take a couple more pictures of the SCMI to tease you but they were pretty busy trying to get everything wrapped up before the weekend. Please let me know if you end up buying it.

P.S. I have an old Jet shaper with a sliding table. I use the sliding table for the ends of stiles where they butt into the rails and that is about it. This can also be easily done quite nicely with a sled. For everything else I use the power feeder and the sliding table is superfluous, for me at least.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 10-22-2021 at 7:01 PM.

Why is it those "deals are always 2000 miles away? Good luck and post photos of your new toy. I don't think I would waste any time getting there for it or it might be someone else's. Unless they are willing to wait for you to get there. I can't imagine a line not forming for that machine though.

Ahh well I’ll be there Tuesday or Thursday, still feels like too long a wait...

But they have been gracious enough to hold it for me. I am apparently the only person showing real interest so they removed the listing and are waiting till I can come down this week. My favorite kind of people!