Thread: Edge Banding Help

Edge Banding Help

Is there any way to improve the appearance of this?
    I cut the banding from red oak. It's approx .090 thick.
    The slab I glued it to is 1.5" thick red oak veneer That I had pressed @ the local Hardwood store.
    I used cauls, 6 clamps plus 6 bandy clamps
    I thought I'd ask before I trim it flush or maybe I need to cut it off and start over?
    The piece is 77" long and it's only these 2 areas that look like this.
    The pics are a close up shot. It looks worse in the pics than in real life.
    The veneer will be sanded, oil base prestain conditioner and a light brown oil based stain applied followed by Arm-r-Seal
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jay Knobbe; 01-21-2024 at 3:27 PM.

Cant tell if there's a void there but if there is I'd try this (if you don't want tear it off & do it again) I've used Woodwise & it can blend in so well you literally can not find it after sanding by far the best wood filler I've ever used. Worse that can happen is your back to square one.
    Good luck
    https://www.woodcraft.com/products/w...3Tzz2fw_l0V-nU

there is a thin gap. Is Woodwise stainable?

I would just fill it , that would certainly out shine the poor open pores of red oak as the filler will be solid.

Thanks, that brings up a good point. I was considering filling the grain prior to prestain, etc. Is there a recommended product to use> I have use Aqua Coat on oak cabinets many times but that is a water based product and I'm priming/painting afterwards. This task requires oil based stains.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Knobbe View Post
    there is a thin gap. Is Woodwise stainable?
    Yes, http://www.woodwise.com/wood-filler-products/

Quote Originally Posted by lou Brava View Post
    This is great stuff. Once in a while I use a few pin nails in my edge banding. If you put a piece of masking tape down first, shoot the nail through and then use this stuff, you can't even see it, no matter what color stain you use.